Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wiegand Protocal — Parallax Forums

Wiegand Protocal

JomsJoms Posts: 279
edited 2008-07-23 12:04 in BASIC Stamp
Is anyone familier with the Wiegand Protocal?· It is used by many types of card readers used for access control.· I am looking to read a wiegand input and store the number, then send it out a few seconds later, or with a button push.

I have done some research about it and found that it works with two data wires, each one going high and low with different timings between them, so it really isn't a protocal I guess.· Basically, does anyone have experience working with it using a basic stamp?· If you have I would like to know how well it worked or if you have any examples of it.· I am having problems finding out where to start on this one....

Thanks in advance for any help....

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2008-07-23 00:27
    Maybe Bean will chime in. He did a project for me a couple of years back that used Wiegand HID card readers and stored the data. it was done with the sx chip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2008-07-23 00:54
    Joms,
    Yeah I did a project for Brian, the pulses are really fast (with a decent amount of time between them).
    If I remember, they are too fast for the basic stamp.
    You'll have to look at them on an oscope to see how fast they are.

Basically both lines are in the same state (I can't remember if it's high or low).

Then one of the lines will change state, if it's the "0" line, then 0 gets shifted into the value.
    If it's the "1" line, then a 1 gets shifted into the value.

There was alot of time between pulses, but the pulses themselves where really fast (10uSec I think).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you·have."·· Thomas Jefferson

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."·Dumbledore from Harry Potter

www.iElectronicDesigns.com

·
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2008-07-23 03:10
    Thanks Bean...

I am actually interfacing to an HID reader, the proprox to be exact... I will have to start working with the sx chip as I have only worked with the basic stamp in the past, but I think they are very close together. I hooked it up to my scope and can see the pulses you are talking about.

Would you be willing to share your code or even just a part of it that stores the data? I am not useing it for a commercial use, but just my own household hobby setup. Let me know what you think... Thanks...
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2008-07-23 03:15
    Joms,
    Check out this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=570417

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you·have."·· Thomas Jefferson

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."·Dumbledore from Harry Potter

www.iElectronicDesigns.com

·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2008-07-23 12:04
    Joms,

I did a HID proximity card reader project a few years back. It was the style where the reader sensor was a about 10 inches square and could read the card from several inches away.

Anyway, it was jumper-selectable to use the Wiegand protcol as described in previous posts, or it could be switched to serial. In serial mode it spit out the facility code and card number the same as the clock/data method but was easily read by a BS2.
    If your device is switchable to serial I think I can dig up my old notes.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·