Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XgameStation vs Hydra Dev Kit — Parallax Forums

XgameStation vs Hydra Dev Kit

JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
edited 2008-07-26 00:20 in Propeller 1
All,

Sure this has been asked before but:

1)· UK Distributor for the XgameStation?· (Seen Andre's post about the vat dodge)

2)· Whats the difference between the Hydra dev kit and the XgameStation?· A friend of a friend is looking to buy.

Cheers,

James

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-22 16:44
    2) They're completely different products. The XGameStation uses an SX microcontroller and the Hydra uses the Propeller
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2008-07-22 16:48
    Ah - ok - Thanks Mike.

The link I was looking at (on xgamestation.com) was for a hydra kit.

Oops - should pay more attention!

J
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-07-26 00:20
    The HYDRA is more for software people that want to learn multicore programming and the propeller in a fun way, the XGAMESTATION is really low level more for hardware guys that want to know EXACTLY how to build an embedded system. The book I wrote for the HYDRA is more high level and the book I wrote for the XGS "design your own game console" that comes with it electronically teaches electronics all the way up to embedded system design. So two different kinds of customers, they overlap, but at the extremes they differ. So if you are looking for something fun and easy, the HYDRA is the way to go, if you love electronics and ASM, and don't mind writing really optimized code 2 weeks to get a dot on the screen the XGS is for you [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'