Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Crazy idea, no clue where to start! — Parallax Forums

Crazy idea, no clue where to start!

ShastaShasta Posts: 2
edited 2008-07-22 18:58 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, I'll be honest, I am WAY over my head on this one... and I don't even know if I am in the right place to be asking this.

My adventure:
I am trying to design a crazy KVM switching system involving multiple workstations and multiple computers all with multiple screens, way beyond what any normal system can handle. So I need to have several boxes talk together. Luckily they all have RS-232 ports and talk an easy to interpret language, unfortunately the boxes don't want to talk to each other.

This link is to the RS-232 spec sheet for the KVM's I plan to use
http://www.networktechinc.com/pdf/man021.pdf

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can start to build a translator so they can talk?

I know I can easily do this with a dedicated computer running some software to intercept and issue commands, but I'd rather have some micro controller or something like that do this for me. I can fight my way through BASIC, and most other languages with examples. I don't mind getting dirty with this, so throw me in there and be as technical as you need to!

Thanks for the help
Peter roll.gif

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-07-22 13:47
    Okay, the link you provided has a way to daisy-chain a string of boxes. Having daisy-chained them, the document also covers the 'messages' to be sent down the chain to make the boxes "do something". What the boxes "Do" is not specified.

What, you have multiple chains of these boxes, and need some way to coordinate the chains?

I'd start with a block diagram of the chains, the inputs, and the outputs.· You might also identify some "scenarios" of how you think this system is going to be used.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-22 15:17
    You will need a copy of the Parallax Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual. The chapters on the SERIN and SEROUT statements show how to connect a Stamp to an RS232 port (like those on the KVM boxes). You only need the RXD and TXD lines (no handshaking since the boxes don't provide it). I strongly suggest that you configure the KVM boxes as described in the documentation for a Baud setting less than 9600, ideally 2400 Baud. The BS2 is a bit marginal at 9600 Baud in terms of being able to handle a lot of data. 2400 Baud will let you use the "formatters" (see the Manual) to break apart the commands and the responses without occasionally dropping characters.
  • ShastaShasta Posts: 2
    edited 2008-07-22 18:58
    Mike thanks for the help!

Looks like I have some homework to do.

Thanks for the affirmation that I'm approaching a manageable project

Peter