Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where can I find good PVC enclosures for my projects? — Parallax Forums

Where can I find good PVC enclosures for my projects?

MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
edited 2008-08-01 16:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello again everybody.

Do you know where to buy god boxes or enclosures for Basic Stamp projects?
Boxes big enough to·include a postcard sized circuit board inside and ability to cut out for a 4 x 20 char lcd in front. And space for necessary switches and d-subs and things like that.

Boxes nice enough to be placed on a kitchen wall without endless discussions with female members of family.

KjellO

Comments

• VelocitVelocit Posts: 119
    edited 2008-07-21 18:35
    As much as I hate buying from them, RadioShack has suitably sized ABS boxes for most projects. When I'm designing a product, though, I usually purchase enclosures from Hammond. Both Digi-Key and Mouser carry their product lines.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Paul
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-07-21 18:48
    DigiKey sells several lines of nice boxes. To me, though, the Porsches of plastic enclosures have to come from Rose+Bopla.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • DosManDanDosManDan Posts: 179
    edited 2008-07-22 00:29
    Phil, do you buy those from DigiKey? The site for Rose doesn't look like they sell direct to non-resellars.

Thanks!
    Dan
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-07-22 00:53
    Dan,

I've always bought directly from their U.S. office in Maryland. They don't have any U.S. distributors, including DigiKey.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • BabaBaba Posts: 9
    edited 2008-07-22 20:36
    Hi: For a long time, I have used the pvc enclosures sold for electrical construction----they are as much as 50% cheaper than the "standard" enclosures used for electronics and widely available from any HomeDepot or similar supplier---I have found them to be very durable, easily modified and have dozens of sizes available from 2x2x4 to 10x10x4-- at least six projects in my machine shop, from a PWM variable servo driver supply to a tachometer display that serves my mill, lathe and drill press with a simple switch click---all are enclosed in these boxes--very economical and basic grey color but easily paintable. Best of luck
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-07-23 02:06
    Moskog,
    From your original question, I assume there are several female members in the family, particularly if they are younger (like daughters), you might try this to keep the esthetic criticism to a minimum
    Use a larger than necessary project box, like the ones presented in the other replies. Cut out all necessary holes and install any posts or other mounting hardware, then turn it over to the female members for their decoration. Make sure you explain the devices that will be mounted on the outside when the project is completed. It will be like the classic artwork on the fridge, no one will criticize and you may have to fight to use the parts on your next project.
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2008-07-23 18:55
    MSDTeck,

Thank's for that advice, it was a very good idea let them do the final decoration.

Also thanks to the other ones above for advice on where to find good project boxes.

KjellO
  • Dr. ResonanceDr. Resonance Posts: 12
    edited 2008-07-24 23:21
    idea.gif

Look at NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturer's Assoc.) type 4 plastic boxes.· Come in all sizes and very sturdy with plastic fasteners for easy cover removal.

Most large electrical supply houses stock them in various sizes.

Regards,

Dr. Resonance
  • desulfatordesulfator Posts: 5
    edited 2008-07-25 21:13
    I have found PACTEC ideal for BASIC Stamp project enclosures.

Typically I mount one or more Radio Shack prototyping boards (276-168 and 276-158) with standoffs on them. At $3.50 a pop they make prototyping and 1 off assembly inexpensive.

PACTEC·has a wide range of sizes and configurations and can be ordered directly from them.

I use cases that are small to larger than a tower computer case for the desulfators I sell.

Within their Desktop Enclosures category, I use the CM and DM series

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/

Post Edited (desulfator) : 7/25/2008 9:34:17 PM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-01 16:48
    I have found that I prefer building my own enclosure. That way I can get a custom shape or size. If I need to build in plastic I like to use Styrene. This can be bought in all shapes and sizes, including thick sheets. Just take a knife to cut, and plastic glue to fix together. When done properly, it is just as strong as commercial boxes, and fits your project perfectly.