Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie question, how many inputs can the propeller take — Parallax Forums

Newbie question, how many inputs can the propeller take

bentybenty Posts: 20
edited 2008-07-24 03:24 in Propeller 1
Ahoy, I'm mostly new to microcontrollers(programmed the bs2 and a fox11 but never interfaced to external devices) and was about to start on a project for an advanced digital class that involved making a time/weather device that would take input from different sensors etc. Can the propeller chip handle these multiple inputs and output to an lcd? Or does it just handle a single input? Hope that makes sense roll.gif
thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-07-20 02:03
    benty:· The Propeller has 32 digital I/O pins.· It has no analog·inputs, but it can be configured with a few external resistors and capacitors to do analog to digital conversion using 2 pins per channel.·

Are your sensors digital (serial) or analog?

I suggest you look at the data sheet for the Propeller.· It can be·downloaded from the Parallax web site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-20 02:07
    The Propeller has 32 I/O pins of which 4 are needed for the bootloading process. Once the user's program is running, these 4 pins can be used for other purposes. Whatever is connected to these 4 pins must take into account the boot process. 2 of these pins are used for attaching an I2C EEPROM used to load the user's program. The unused portion of this EEPROM can be used by the user's program. You can also use a larger EEPROM (than 32K bytes) and use the rest of the EEPROM for program or data storage. You can also attach other I2C devices to these 2 I/O pins. The other 2 pins (of the 4) are used to connect to a PC via a 2-wire serial port. This can be used after the boot process for communicating with a PC or for debugging using the PC as a debug terminal.

The other 28 I/O pins are completely uncommitted and could be used for inputs / outputs, whatever depending on your needs. All of these pins are essentially identical (other than slight on-chip delay differences on the order of nanoseconds).
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-07-20 03:24
    Oliver Baily is finishing up a Propeller book that should be ready next month. The topic is making a weather station. You can read about it on his blog with the URL's below:

From his main blog : Overview " The Propeller Book --
    The book topic is on building a weather station using available sensors. The Propeller supports many types of communications techniques and has a built in ROM character set. It also has built in support for a PS/2 style mouse and keyboard, VGA, NTSC output, and broadcast video output, all with minimal external components. It is a 3.3 volt device and operates easily up to 96 MHz with a default clock speed of 80 MHz using a 5 MHz clock crystal."

oliverhbailey-propeller.blogspot.com/2008/03/welcome-to-propeller-blog.html

About the book: Propeller Weather Station
    oliverhbailey-propeller.blogspot.com/2008/07/propeller-weather-station.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
  • bentybenty Posts: 20
    edited 2008-07-24 03:24
    Cool, thanks for the info guys! I hadn't even thought of looking at the data sheet till you mentioned it Ken so hopefully most of my questions are answered(for now). Just waiting for UPS to show up with the chip and stuff now [noparse]:)[/noparse]

benty