Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$10 zigbee? — Parallax Forums

$10 zigbee?

mohammmohamm Posts: 2
edited 2008-07-20 14:05 in Propeller 1
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=MRF24J40MA-ND

Would this module be just as good as the xbee transceivers? All the xbees are around $20 and this is just $10. it says up to 400m range which is really nice but how would you mount it and how easy would it be to use with the propeller. I have been considering getting xbee modules for a while but at $20 a piece I wouldn’t be able to afford more than a few. Is this a good find or is there some catch?
·

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-07-19 08:40
    mohamm said...
    Would this module be just as good as the xbee transceivers?
    No, it's really not in the same class as the XBee. The XBee is a complete Zigbee module that provides transparent end-to-end serial communications. The Microchip unit is a building block module which, by adding an external microcontroller, could be used to build something like the XBee, but without all of the XBee's power output and antenna options. If you use a Microchip controller, you can take advantage of their free protocol stack to aid your firmware effort. If you use a different controller (i.e. running naked with a Propeller), you will have to roll your own.

If you're planning to design a unit that you'll be selling thousands of, the difference in price could well make up for the extra development time required for the Microchip module. If you're just messing around with Zigbee, though, the XBee is definitely the friendlier choice.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • mohammmohamm Posts: 2
    edited 2008-07-19 20:58
    Okay, thanks for the explanation, I think I'll pass on trying to use this unit for now but maybe in the future I will try it with a pic or something. I probably will get some xbees·eventually but I have a lot of stuff on my list before that.
  • jeffjohnvoljeffjohnvol Posts: 197
    edited 2008-07-19 23:24
    I was looking at the Xbee specs, and I didn't realize it, but they have built in A/D converters too. 4 of them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    End dependance on foreign oil.· www.pickensplan.com
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-07-20 14:05
    ... plus digital inputs and outputs, and autonomous operation so 'sensors' don't necessarily need a micro controller.