Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternating direction of small dc motor. — Parallax Forums

Alternating direction of small dc motor.

po2lepo2le Posts: 76
edited 2008-07-20 17:27 in BASIC Stamp
Using a BS2,is there a way to reverse the direction of rotation of a small (hobby size, 3 to 4.5v) dc motor.
A Tamiya motor used for small hobby cars, etc.· I would like it to rotate CW for a short while, then reverse rotaton (CCW) for a short while.· I know that BS2's can toggle outputs from high to low, but the voltage to the input of the motor would have to be reversed from one time to the other.·

How about connecting the 2 motor leads to two different output·ports on the BS2, one high the other low for a couple of seconds, then reverse the ports: low to high, the other high to low·?

thank you
po2l

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-07-19 05:10
    An H-bridge is what you want. You could build something with discrete transistors if you wanted to but the stamp would probably not have enough power to drive the motor directly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2008-07-19 06:08
    Thanks for the information.
    Where can I find an H bridge to control a small hobby dc motor? I'm not the world's greatest solderer.
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2008-07-19 06:11
    Where can I find an H bridge to control a small dc motor?

Does Parallax have them?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-07-19 06:24
    po2le,

Sounds like the best fit for you is going to be our Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller .· It will allow you to independently control two motors up to 1 Amp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2008-07-20 17:27
    Beau,
    That is a very nice little unit. I have been building my own Tilden Beam H-Bridges but the foot print is much larger and only manages 100ma or so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's sunny and warm here. It is always sunny and warm here.... (unless a typhoon blows through).

Tropically, G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse] 黃鶴 ] in Taiwan