Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MCP41100 Digital Pot. IC help Please — Parallax Forums

MCP41100 Digital Pot. IC help Please

NoNo Posts: 26
edited 2008-07-18 20:26 in BASIC Stamp
hi,

Im having bit of a trouble programming this MCP4110 digital potentiometer. I have it hooked up per spec sheet(javascript[noparse]:o[/noparse]penreq('http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/microchip/11195c.pdf') Pin 1,4,7 connected to VSs. 8,5 to Vdd. Pin 2, and 3 to bs2 pins(0,1). And pin 6 to the positive lead of my voltmeter, neg lead attached to Vss. i get a read out of 2.48V, which im assumin is the mid range voltage.

What i did was sent a low signal the SCK pin(2 of IC) , then a pulsout command to the SI pin(3 of IC), then sent a high signal to SCK pin (2 of IC).

Low 0
Pulsout 1,5
high 0

In the data sheet is says it execute the command on the rising edge of the Sck pin which woukld mean that the wiper wouldnt shift till the SCK goes from a low to High?

Should i be using a·pulsout command for this specific IC?

I noticed that the internal schematic looks a but more complex as oppose to the AD5220. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2008-07-18 19:10
    This will take a modification of an spi routine that you should be able to find in the object exchange or perhaps in your bs2 programs. There is a fair bit of documentation on the use of SPI but I don't recall seeing any directly dealing with this chip. I have used this chip with the propeller with success. It will take a bit of study on the datasheet to get the communication down but it shouldn't be too hard.
  • NoNo Posts: 26
    edited 2008-07-18 20:26
    thanks for the input. Ive been lookin over the datasheet today while at work, i have a few things im gonna try when i get home, ill keep ya posted on how it turns out.