Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Detecting low voltage input — Parallax Forums

Detecting low voltage input

computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
edited 2008-07-22 05:39 in BASIC Stamp
I have a switch that outputs 1.2v when pushed and 0v when released.

If I want the BS2 to detect the change I have to use a transistor right.

What value components would I use and will this circuit do the job.
Version1
attachment.php?attachmentid=54613

Version2
attachment.php?attachmentid=54614

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip A web site designed to help people who are new to the propeller chip.

Guitar Hero controller using the prop (WIP) --> HERE
399 x 304 - 4K
399 x 260 - 4K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-18 04:39
    Neither version is quite right. Version 1 won't work at all. It's what's called an emitter follower. The resistor in the emitter lead provides negative feedback for the base current and, with a 1.2V input, may prevent the transistor from turning on depending on its value.
    Version 2 should work, but needs a resistor in series with the base lead to prevent the transistor from drawing too much current from the 1.2V input. 0.5mA is more than enough and a 1K resistor is about right. The collector resistor should be something like 1K for a 5mA collector current.
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-07-18 04:55
    Thank you Mike. smile.gif

So this should work.

Version3
    attachment.php?attachmentid=54615

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip A web site designed to help people who are new to the propeller chip.

474 x 260 - 5K
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-07-18 06:33
    computer guy,

You may not even need a transistor at all... A simple voltage divider might work.

15K       3.3K
    5V >----/\/\---o---/\/\----< 0V to 1.2V input
                   |
                   o-----------> To I/O Pin  

Since the I/O pin has a threshold of 1.4 Volts·.. When the input voltage is 0V, the voltage divider produces about 0.9 Volts at the input to the I/O Pin.· When the input voltage is 1.2V, the voltage divider produces about 1.88 Volts at the input to the I/O Pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
    edited 2008-07-18 11:24
    Beau, can you help me understand how you calculated the 0.9v and the 1.88v. I have a simular issue but I am wondering if those size resistors will work if my voltage was only 1.0v instead of 1.2v?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-07-18 16:09
    NosePicker,
    ·
    You can use the standard voltage divider rule, but I prefer to use a derivative of that and find my current through the system first.· To do this you take the difference in voltage divided by the total amount of resistance.
    ·
    In this example, the total amount of resistance will be fixed at 18.3K ( <-- 15K + 3.3K )
    ·
    So when the input signal is 0V, the difference in voltage is 5V and the current is 273 micro Amps. ( <-- 5V / 18.3K)
    Likewise, when the input signal is 1.2V, the difference in voltage is 3.8V and the current is 208 micro Amps. ( <-- 3.8V / 18.3K)
    ·
    Now, the resistor of interest is the 3.3K ... If you take the current calculated above for a 0V input, and multiply it by the resistor value of 3.3K you get 0.901 Volts across that resistor.
    ·
    Doing the same thing with the 1.2V input you get 0.68 Volts across that resistor·... But wait a minute! That's not the 1.88 Volts I mentioned earlier.· Take a closer look, you are now biasing the input with 1.2 Volts that gets "ADDED" to the 0.686 Volts.· 1.2V + 0.68V = 1.88V that the I/O "sees".

With those resistor values, I think that a 1V signal would still be enough to clear the 1.4V I/O threshold.· A 1 Volt input equates to·1.72V that the I/O would "see".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2008-07-19 18:26
    All,

I think version 3 would work the best above all other ideas, but I would add a 10k resistor from the input·of the transistor to ground to prevent false trigger. I am assuming that when the switch is not pressed it is an open circuit and not zero volts. This open circuit would also prevent the resistor divider from working. If I were to use the resistor divider I would have·replaced the 3.3k with a 1N4148 assuming the input is at ground potential when open and not floating.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D. A. Wreski
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-07-22 05:39
    The input of the transistor is at 1.2v when the button attached is released and 0v when pressed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔