Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller with PINK question. — Parallax Forums

Propeller with PINK question.

jeffjohnvoljeffjohnvol Posts: 197
edited 2008-11-26 11:35 in Propeller 1
I briefly read the PINK instruction manual, and I see where I can host a simple page, and do some FTP's and UDPs.

But is it possible to have the propeller issue a web address, and get the results and parse the page to get specific values?· Such as if it were to try to look up a stock quote or a temperature forecast?

I have done this with a serverside PHP by looking at a body of HTML results for certain tags to parse the information I needed, but is that within the capabilities of PINK and Spin?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-17 22:50
    The PINK can only host a web page, do FTP transfers, and UDP messaging. The Propeller can't get it to do anything else. There are several Propeller implementations of other internet interactions. Look at the website for the YBOX2 [url=http://adafruit.com/?cPath=26[/url]) ]([noparse][[/noparse]url]http://adafruit.com/?cPath=26[noparse][[/noparse]/url]) [/url]which is a Propeller that uses a low level ethernet interface to do a variety of inquiries for time and weather.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 7/17/2008 10:55:20 PM GMT
  • jeffjohnvoljeffjohnvol Posts: 197
    edited 2008-07-18 00:24
    Okay, thanks Mike. At first I was disappointed, but seeing how they use that ethernet chip gives me hope. The PINK is nice for a webserver, but I didn't need that functionality. It will be nice to do it cheaper if I can figure out the ethernet chip (If I ever get around to even trying, lol).

Thanks.
    Jeff
  • Farmer ScottFarmer Scott Posts: 30
    edited 2008-11-26 11:35
    I realize this thread's a little old now...I posted about doing this earlier in the year, but just now got around to it since the weather has started getting cold.

just completed software for the Netburner SB70 (same platform as PINK) that does HTTP GET.· Very simple, but it does what I need (calls a PHP script on a web server to perform a database update, retrieves some basic information).· If anyone is interested, let me know...