Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a LCD touchscreen for Stamp — Parallax Forums

Need a LCD touchscreen for Stamp

GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
edited 2008-07-21 04:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all, its been a while.

I used to have some of those really nice touchscreens from Simmetry. Unfortunately, due to a bad power supply with my first one, and my later slipup with supply voltage on its replacement, I fried both of them, and he's not selling anymore. I dont know where to begin reparing them.

What Id like is a decent LCD display that is easily interfaced with the BS2 with built in touchscreen, does anyone know of anything like this at a decent price?

If not does anyone know of a touch panel that is easy to use I could just mount over another display?

·

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2008-07-18 06:01
    I have no experience with these people, I just happened to have their page bookmarked.

This display is not the pretty blue color like the Simmetry display, but it does have touchscreen and will interface with a Basic Stamp.

www.multilabs.net/ezDISPLAY_Mini.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-07-18 19:12
    Allright, thanks a ton. It helps to at least have options.

Very true, the Simmetry display looked NICE, this looks like a TI82 calculator, but its better than nothing. Ive been searching like mad the last couple of days. Ive found some IC's that will read 4 wire touchscreens, I think I could do it with the stamp, but it would suck up way too many cycles. But if I used that IC and pulled the touch screen off of this display and put it on top of another, I might be able to use it. Problem is I dont know how to work with the ones Im finding. The Ebay ones dont give you anything in the way of datasheets or part numbers to get datasheets. They're 128x64 with what looks like a regular paralell LCD interface, but I wouldnt know where to start without instructions.

Does anyone have a Simmetry display they're not using? Man that would be MUCH appreciated if I could buy one.

Does anyone have the Simmetry display schematics? Im poking at the two I have, as I said, one was destroyed by dirty power, the other over power (12v), but I dont have schematics for them even to hook them up, much less troubleshoot.

One display powers up and displays the spashscreen but does not respond to touch or serial, the other just lights up but nothing else. The first is showing 4.6v at the V+ pin on the main IC, the other 4.9V. There is really only one IC, then the serial converter and a EEPROM chip, so there isnt much else I can do I guess.
    edited 2008-07-19 02:33
    Holy poop. I hooked one of the simmetry displays up for giggles, the one that displays the spashscreen, I got "CS-2B Program Version 2.03" in hyperterminal. Its doing something. Maybe I just have a problem with the touch screen, or maybe its software, like I accedently disabled the touchscreen in the software. Does anyone have the datasheet for this with the code?
    edited 2008-07-19 05:26
    Doesnt seem to be doing anything. I've confirmed the serial comm is getting to the MAX202 chip, but it doesnt respond, maybe im just remembering the code wrong, I dont know.
    edited 2008-07-19 06:23
    There is a schematic in this document, it's a little blurry though. I think I have the rest of their stuff somewhere.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
    edited 2008-07-19 08:39
    Thanks, thats helpful. I'll do some more poking. Its wierd that it starts up, outputs serial data, but doesnt respond to serial or touch.·The only·thing I see so far is the 3.3v regulator is putting out 4.0 volts.

Anything else you can find would be great. Ive been looking for another Simmetry display, but no luck, its okay though, Im looking into this 5.7" display, its the same blue\white color, with many advanced features and touchscreen. http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?cPath=301_189&products_id=2418

Id still like to get one of these working again though if possible.

Post Edited (GICU812) : 7/19/2008 9:21:07 AM GMT
    edited 2008-07-19 09:31
    Well the EEPROM states operating voltage 2.7-3.6V, so the 4.0 volts its getting would be outside the range, but it states absolute max 6.25V so I dont know if that means it wont operate above 3.6, but wont sustain damage below 6.25? If I can come up with 3.3V around here somewhere I'll pull out that regulator and feed it 3.3. I dont know that would really be the problem, seems to me it pulls the spash screen out of memory.
    edited 2008-07-20 14:33
    Here is their pdf instruction manual. This is not the original file, I had to reprint it with CutePDF to get the file size down enough to upload it here. Hopefully this will be of some help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
    edited 2008-07-21 04:02
    Thanks, looks like a lost cause though. It doesnt respond to any command, and Pin 5 of J4 is supposed to go to logic low when it is working, according to my scope, its always high. Its just odd that it boots.

I think Ive found my next screen, its a little more pricey, and from the sounds of it, a lot more in depth and complicated, but has a lot more features too, and a 5.7" display, still the pretty blue\white though.
    http://www.haidartechnology.com/uploads/Brochure_GUI_New.pdf