Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can I fry my stamp from low voltages — Parallax Forums

can I fry my stamp from low voltages

epicjr77epicjr77 Posts: 29
edited 2008-07-17 02:12 in BASIC Stamp
I was using my stamp with a ping mounted on a servo. The servo slowed, so I figured to replaced the batteries. No when I plug my stamp in I get no stamps found. Im guessing I fried it from the dead batteries. If I did is there any way to build a low voltage cut off circuit?

Comments

• JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2008-07-16 19:46
    There really is no way that I know of to do this because the stamp has a 'brown-out' detector built onto it just for this reason. After the voltage goes too low it will cause the stamp to not run to help prevent the EEprom from getting messed up, aswell as many other things.... Were you powering anything off of the VDD of the stamp? Possibly something happened to the regulator that is on board. Normally I will only use the onboard regulator to power the stamp itself then place a 7805 5 volt regulator along side to power any external components I may have. This possibly isn't needed but I try to overbuild my circuits to help prevent failure and allow for easy additions in the future...

Try hooking power back up to the stamp and see if you measure 5volts on the VDD pin of the stamp...
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-07-16 19:47
    Supplying too low a voltage to the Stamp is unlikely to cause harm. I'd be looking for another cause.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-07-16 20:18
    Are you SURE the new batteries you plugged in were good?· Is maybe one of them backwards?
  • Steve in NMSteve in NM Posts: 54
    edited 2008-07-17 01:20
    Out of maybe 100 BS1's, and a couple dozen BS2's, I've only killed one BS1 - with a soldering iron of all things. After that, I learned to make my own SIP sockets out of DIP sockets.

I've wounded more than a few. But that wasn't the question. smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm not a complete idiot! Some of my parts are missing.
  • GogsGogs Posts: 19
    edited 2008-07-17 02:12
    Well guess what, this mornig I was powering up a system and trying to do a circuit and got the same as you. When I inspected it Yes you do wound the Stamp itself. I will get back once I find out exactly whats wrong. It is not the 5V supply but you can check it.