Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SPIN vs C??? — Parallax Forums

SPIN vs C???

jmbertoncelli@USAjmbertoncelli@USA Posts: 48
edited 2008-07-20 13:52 in Propeller 1
Hello,

I have a very simple question about the future of the SPIN language vs. the C compiler from ImageCraft.· Does it make sense to go with "C" because of the wide spread "C" usage for embedded systems and more or to use SPIN and learn a new language that is used for the Propeller only???

thanks.

jm.

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-07-16 19:04
    Simple questions can have complicated answers [noparse]:)[/noparse]

It all depends on your needs. Spin is interpreted. C is compiled. Spin's binary will run about 4 to 8 times slower than the equivalent C application. A C application is about 3.5 times bigger than the same Spin app. Spin and C address different needs; choose what makes sense for your project. A good C programmer should have no problem learning most of spin in a week.

In the future, a follow-on Propeller (PropII) may be available with greater internal memory, cog, and hardware pin resources; this has been spec'd by Parallax in the forum. Such a product would allow a clean interface to practiacally unlimited external memory. Using C at that point will be more meaningful. Using C with today's Propeller is fine, but there are limits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-07-16 19:36
    There's another factor to consider, there are extensive libraries already availible for Spin. While the number of C libraries is growing, the current number is somewhat limited, so there will be alot more "code it yourself". There's also the difference in price. But it really comes down to what exactly you are looking for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2008-07-16 23:36
    If you have interests or aspirations that go beyond the Propeller, then learn C.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-17 00:29
    More importantly, if you have interests or aspirations that go beyond the Propeller, then over time learn several different assembly languages and several high level programming languages including C. Different programming languages (including different processor architectures) introduce different concepts and different expressions of the same concepts. They're all useful and occasionally absolutely necessary.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-07-17 01:37
    If you already have something coded in C, then it may be worth the effort to use the C compiler. Otherwise, because the C compiler is very new, I'd start with Spin first. If you then need more speed and want portable code, transfer it to C.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-07-17 07:38
    Learn spin, then get the C compiler if you need it. Don't consider learning spin a waste, it takes very little time anyway.

Graham
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-07-17 13:22
    I'd say learn both, C and Spin, plus PASM if you can. If you're already familiar with C then Spin should be easy to pick up after a few days and any 'it looks very different' fades away. If you don't know either I'd suggest Spin first then C, although neither language are particularly hard to grasp the basics of.

There's been previous discussion and comparison of Spin and ImageCraft C and Jazzed sums that up quite well above. The best thing about knowing two or more languages is that you always have choices, which you prefer and what works best for a specific application.

When the Propeller Mk II arrives, ImageCraft C will come into its own and should shine. The current Mk I is more constrained but that doesn't make C unusable and early adoption should put you ahead of the curve.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-07-17 13:55
    I've learned many different programming languages over the years.· I have to say, the more languages you know,·the easier·it is to learn a new one.· This is because the underlying concepts are similar no matter what language you use.

As languages go, SPIN is easy to get the hang of.· PASM on the other hand, is one of the more difficult assembly languages to learn do to the lack of indexed and indirect addressing and the self-modifying code required as a result.· It's still worthwhile to learn them all in my opinion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-07-18 19:56
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...

There's another factor to consider, there are extensive libraries already availible for Spin. While the number of C libraries is growing, the current number is somewhat limited, so there will be alot more "code it yourself". There's also the difference in price. But it really comes down to what exactly you are looking for.

The problem I have with spin right now is: while there is an extensive library of objects that can be embedded at compile time, adding libraries "as is" at run-time or starting a .spin binary on top of an existing .spin app does not seem possible.

I've looked at the Femto model, but unless I'm mistaken, that appears to start a new application as a wholesale replacement of the current app, rather than using an executive. Steven's DOL Dynamic Object Linking code allows one to use .dol objects in their definition, but it falls short of what can be done with C static libraries program (although not being done as of now, it's just a matter of time and not design constraint). I have yet to see an app that can start with embedded spin objects with DOL ... again maybe I've missed something.

Why is wanting to load/use binary modules at run-time important? Well, it is not for small programs. The difficulty comes with growth. Download times increase and some say, "that gives me time to reflect/multi-task/get coffee" [noparse]:)[/noparse] If I have to build/download an entire linux embedded system for testing bug fixes (and I've had too), I would lose interest fast (and I did) without kernel loadable modules or lib*.a/lib*.so ability. It will seem like a trivial problem to the un-annointed or the holier than thou crowd (just analogy folks), but this is a monster productivity eater (the bigger the embedded image the bigger the monster).

Thus, I challenge Parallax with the best of intentions to come up with an easy way to dynamically add objects or entire spin binaries in the next (or current) incarnation of spin.

Thanks,

--Steve

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (jazzed) : 7/18/2008 9:03:57 PM GMT
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-07-18 20:21
    My ten cents worth:

Spin is fine and not too hard to learn as well as the already mentioned object library.

What would be great is a spin source level debugger/simulator with break points, single step, variable watch and memory view.
    edited 2008-07-18 21:17
    Praxis, someone is working on a ram resident spin interpreter. That or a spin compiler might allow adding debug hooks/symbols, but memory could be an issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-07-20 07:34
    I am working on a RamInterpreter. Currently I have·code similar to LMM to debug the RamInterpreter, so memory isn't a problem. It steps through each bytecode under control of spin code using 6 longs in the RamInterpreter. However, I have no understanding of the spin code to bytecode relationship. Is anyone interested in that portion of a spin debugger?? I will post updates under the heading "Spin Interpreter - Faster ??" on the forum.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-07-20 12:12
    jazzed said...

The problem I have with spin right now is: while there is an extensive library of objects that can be embedded at compile time, adding libraries "as is" at run-time or starting a .spin binary on top of an existing .spin app does not seem possible.

I've been playing with various spin bits and pieces and having a *close* look at the interpreter code.
    Spin appears to be *completely* position independent. It's all about how you set the startup variables for the interpreter.

If you were to take a .bin file. Hack off the 1st 2 longs and alter the next 5 words to tell it where you were going to position it in RAM you should then be able to do a coginit with the spin interpreter and have it start up.

It *should* be as easy as load the entire .binary file. Add your ram offset to word though word[noparse][[/noparse]8] and coginit with par pointed at the address of word. (Starting from word[noparse][[/noparse]0] of course) - that says word<bracket>4<bracket> through word[noparse][[/noparse]8] but something keeps buggering up the formatting!

You of course need to load the binary where the main spin program won't trample all over it somewhere high in ram, and with enough space after it for the variables and stack, but in theory it should "just work".

something like
    load_file('blah_spin.binary') at address $4000 ' However you plan on doing that
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$4004] += $4000 'pbase - Object Base
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$4006] += $4000 'vbase - Object Variables
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$4008] += $4000 'dbase - Object Stack
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$400A] += $4000 'pcurr - Instruction Pointer
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$400C] += $4000 'dcurr - Stack Pointer
    cognew ($F004,$4004)

Now, I'm sure as hell not certain as I've not (A) tried it, or (B) needed to try it, but I'm in the middle of writing a spin disassembler and this all kinda
    adds up with what I've managed to get thus far. Hippy would probably be the best one to ask.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!

Post Edited (BradC) : 7/20/2008 12:19:15 PM GMT

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-07-20 12:31
    Hrm.. that's wrong.. should be
    word[noparse][[/noparse]$4008] += $4000

and so on.. forgot there are 2 longs at the start of the binary.

Figured out an easy way to test this..
    Write the propeller demo or something to eeprom.
    Write a spin program using the i2c driver to load the contents of eeprom at $3000 or therabouts..
    do the fixups and launch..

Load and run the spin program from ram, and if its going to work it will load the image from eeprom, fixup and launch.
    If not then I've made a fundamental logical error (nothing new there!).
    If nobody beats me to it I'll try it when I get home from the office tonight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-07-20 13:52
    @ BradC : What you're doing should work. I didn't check your exact specifics but I did test launching arbitrary Spin bytecode using CogNew and it works. One just needs to set the parameter block ( $0004..$000F in .eeprom, but can be anywhere at run time ) and the bytecode to launch.

CogNew as always takes two parameters to launch PASM, in this case; first the start address of the Spin Interpreter ($F004) then the address of the Parameter Block ($0004). Your CogNew($F004,$4004) should work fine, mine did. Change $F004 and you can run a RAM Spin Interpreter.

I used these techniques with Cluso99 to transparently use a RAM Spin Interpreter, for inserting data into an image and for platform independence pindefs - Copy $0004-$000F elsewhere in the image, fixup $0004-$000F to run some inserted Spin bytecode to do as it needs then restore what was; after a 'virtual re-boot' what's in Ram looks like what was saved before the image got messed with.

On position independence; it's not all 100% 'relative to self' as I'd call truly position independent code. Some code is relative to 'start of code module' so you couldn't just swap two methods around in the image and swap links/pointers to them and have it work or remove an unused method and slide the rest of the methods down to fill the gap.

I'm not sure of all bytecode that is relative to 'start of code module' but part of LookUp and LookDown are. Such code is relocatable with a fixup, just a bit harder to do.

@ Cluso99 : I've got some experience of Spin to bytecode generation so I'll be pleased to help in the other thread.