Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new to the propeller, and have a question — Parallax Forums

new to the propeller, and have a question

FireHopperFireHopper Posts: 180
edited 2008-07-18 15:55 in Propeller 1
just got my properller kit, and now have a interesting question, will there be a propeller tool for the mac?

I use a mac laptop for most of my basic stamp development [noparse]:)[/noparse]

and was hoping someone would make a propeller tool for the mac :>

I'd be happy to help beta test such a thing.. I'd try an do it my self If I was better at programming.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-16 16:45
    There is no Propeller Tool for the Mac nor is there any plan for one. I have a MacBook and use a variety of Windows compatibility programs. VMWare's Fusion and Parallel's Desktop work fine for running Windows XP (or Vista if you have to) in order to use the Propeller Tool. CodeWeavers' Crossover Mac "sort of" works. You can compile programs and edit them, but downloading doesn't work. There are some minor bugs with compiling as well (like opening up directories in the editor's browser). You can use a Python downloader that runs under the MacOS's Python. I don't recommend this scheme (with Crossover) for now since running Windows is so easy.
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-07-16 18:03
    Also keep an eye on this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=711419 thread. The project is in the summer doldrums now, but hopefully it will come alive again soon.
  • FireHopperFireHopper Posts: 180
    edited 2008-07-17 01:57
    too bad my mac is a ppc g4, I have a older powerbook.. I dont know of any ways to get a x86 operating system running on it

Mike Green said...
    There is no Propeller Tool for the Mac nor is there any plan for one. I have a MacBook and use a variety of Windows compatibility programs. VMWare's Fusion and Parallel's Desktop work fine for running Windows XP (or Vista if you have to) in order to use the Propeller Tool. CodeWeavers' Crossover Mac "sort of" works. You can compile programs and edit them, but downloading doesn't work. There are some minor bugs with compiling as well (like opening up directories in the editor's browser). You can use a Python downloader that runs under the MacOS's Python. I don't recommend this scheme (with Crossover) for now since running Windows is so easy.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-17 02:08
    Microsoft's Virtual PC works on a PowerBook. I have run the Propeller Tool under Virtual PC with Windows XP Home. It's slow, but usable. You have to disable the automatic update feature. If you have anything running in the background under Windows, downloads won't work reliably.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-07-17 06:23
    Actually you can disable most services if not all... well in NT you could and run it almost mono task...
  • FireHopperFireHopper Posts: 180
    edited 2008-07-18 15:55
    hrmm.. it would only be used for the propeller tool, nothing else.. so I could try it.. first I have to get a copy of virtual pc

Mike Green said...
    Microsoft's Virtual PC works on a PowerBook. I have run the Propeller Tool under Virtual PC with Windows XP Home. It's slow, but usable. You have to disable the automatic update feature. If you have anything running in the background under Windows, downloads won't work reliably.