Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
12V solid state relay chips? — Parallax Forums

12V solid state relay chips?

henry99henry99 Posts: 67
edited 2008-07-20 15:51 in BASIC Stamp
Are there any simple 12V solid state relay chips around to interface to a BS?

I just want to make a +5V high on trigger switch that has 12V hooked up to it.

I was thinking about designing a FET circuit but figure this must be a common design that someone has wrapped into an easy to use IC. Thanks for any leads!

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2008-07-15 14:05
    henry99--

I use this Futurlec Solid State Relay to control a 12vdc, 24 amp battery source using a single Stamp pin . . .

Futurlec SSR

It works very well for me and has been for a long time.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • jefmjefm Posts: 50
    edited 2008-07-15 17:43
    Do you still need to use a diode between the pin/relay for these? With no magnet there is no power made upon opening.... right?
    edited 2008-07-16 02:08
    Jef--

I do not use a diode.

Where there is no "coil", no current can be generated. However, I am the world's worst when it comes to electronics. I totally rely on the folks on this forum and have learned quite a bit from them.

(A "coil" could be a single wire passing from one pole of a magnet to the other.)

In any case, the SSR I use works perfectly and was recommended to me by forum member Mike Green.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2008-07-16 19:53
    I just looked at that SSR and you would not need anything between the SSR and the stamp. Just hook the + of the SSR to the stamp pin of your choice and the - to VSS. This unit should give very good isolation between your stamp and the load you are controlling....

PS.. A rule of thumb people use around here is if Mike Gree says it will work, it will work. He has helped all of us out many times on this forum and has an extream knowledge of the basic stamp and the electronics to go with it...
    edited 2008-07-16 21:48
    Joms--

That is exactly how I have my SSR set up. There is hardly anything at all to making one of those things work. A HIGH x (where x is a pin) turns it on and a LOW x turns it off.

I certainly appreciated Mike's help months ago when he suggested it. However, at times he actually wants me to think for myself. Hey! What's up with that? Anyway?

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Steve in NMSteve in NM Posts: 54
    edited 2008-07-17 01:14
    Is there an advantage to one of these over using just a MOSFET?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. It wouldn't be the first time. tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm not a complete idiot! Some of my parts are missing.
    edited 2008-07-17 13:28
    Steve--

I am not trying to be facetious.

An advantage to me is that the SSR has four connections, each one clearly labeled. Another advantage is that it will handle up to 40 amps and is very easy to mount.

I only know what "MOSFET" stands for; I do not know anything about their use. Will they commonly handle 40 amps? Are they dirt-simple to mount? (2 screws on the SSR.) I would appreciate knowing. Maybe the next time I will use a MOSFET.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-07-17 13:47
    Steve in NM said...
    Is there an advantage to one of these over using just a MOSFET?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. It wouldn't be the first time. tongue.gif

You can certainly use a MOSFET to build something similar but you may also want to add an opto-isolator to protect the Stamp. There is more than just a MOSFET inside the module. The page describing the SSR mentions that it is optically isolated. That is a nice feature. Without that if you have some sort of failure that toasts you MOSFET and shorts it then you run the risk of dumping the load voltage back through your Stamp pin. Not a good thing. When it is optically isolated there isn't a physical wired connection so the stamp pin won't be damaged.

It is possible to build your own and you can save a little but these type of modules do work well and are easy to use. Everything is in a neat tidy package.

Robert
  • kennetkennet Posts: 33
    edited 2008-07-18 21:49
    There is nothing wrong with 'rolling your own'. In fact, if you really want to learn the nuts and bolts·of building circuits and protecting your Stamps,then I would recommend it. First , you will need to select an optoisolator like the PS2501-4 or NTE3221.Just about any optoisolator will do.And study the stat sheets. I always protect my stamp pins with these devices.I haven't lost a stamp in years.

I'm not a really an electronics person.It's just that these types of circuits are simple to construct.

As for using MOSFETs. There is nothing more simple or economical. Decide how much current you want to control. Then just select the right value. If you want,you can even double them up to increase the amount of current you·can control. Just remember to use heat sinks on your mosfets.A MOSFET,is a special type of transistor so go to the web and google MOSFET. A lot of info will come up. Very interesting stuff!

Ken
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-07-18 22:08
    If you decide to use an optoisolator ahead of a MOSFET, you might consider going with a photovoltaic type, rather than one with a phototransistor output. Photovoltaic isolators produce their own output voltage, which means they can be connected to the MOSFET's gate and source without reference to any other voltages in the system. And this means you can use an n-channel MOSFET as a source driver or sink driver, whichever you choose. Just be sure to connect a > 1 meg resistor across the output to drain the MOSFET's gate voltage when the isolator turns off.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • HIBITDACHIBITDAC Posts: 40
    edited 2008-07-20 15:51
    You can use a Claire 1510G, datasheet is attached. It is optically isolated and has a MOSFet output that isn't polarity sensitive. If you need more current I have also attached other MOSFet's datasheet that I use and can handle more current. I love the Claire cause you don't have to know how to correctly connect a transistor. You can treat it just like a relay as long as you don't run too much current through it. If you go with a bigger MOSFet they switch a GND or negative. They are usually Pin1: Gate (trigger), Pin2: Drain (Load), and Pin3: Source (connect to GND).

Post Edited (HIBITDAC) : 7/20/2008 3:56:32 PM GMT