Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2x16 LCD and Propeller — Parallax Forums

2x16 LCD and Propeller

shmowshmow Posts: 109
edited 2008-07-15 03:56 in Propeller 1
Hello All,
I am using the LCD that arrived with the Stamp2 Professional Developement Board.
The LCD is plugged into this PDB.
I've wired the pins on the Propeller in series with 1k ohm resistors to LCD terminal on the PDB (R/S, R/W, E & DB4-7).
The spin code is downloaded from the OE (provided by Simon Ampleman) - thankyou.
When the chip is running, the LCD is only backlit.
Not sure what to do.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Shmow

·

Comments

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-07-14 03:56
    There is a bug in the init routine of that object.

While its methodology is roughly correct according to the datasheet, there are some timing quirks that prevent it reliably resetting and initializing the display.

This hacked up version works reliably for me and also implements busy detection properly.
    I'll get around to fixing the init routine to be timing compliant with the datasheet one day, but you can't rush these things.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-07-14 13:02
    You didn't mention the Contrast pin, do you have an Pot or other fixed value resistors there to adjust the contrast so the text is visible?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • shmowshmow Posts: 109
    edited 2008-07-14 15:09
    Brian,

which pin is the contrast pin?· I'm using the LCD with the parallel cable plugged into the PDB - no spare pin can be seen.

Shmow
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-07-15 01:22
    I looked at the Diagrams for the Professional Development board. There appears to be a 10K pot built into the PDB right under the connector for the LCD. Adjust that and see if you get better results. With the LCD powered, you should see solid blocks when the contrast is adjusted too dark, Even if there is no text displayed.

If using a stand alone parallel LCD. The standard hookup for the contrast pin is in the picture attached. I don't own a PDB so I wasn't aware of the built in contrast potentiometer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    572 x 460 - 42K
  • shmowshmow Posts: 109
    edited 2008-07-15 03:56
    Thanks Brian!
    I will check it out.
    Regards,
    Shmow