Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PWM Controller for DIY Hydrogen Fuel Cell — Parallax Forums

PWM Controller for DIY Hydrogen Fuel Cell

Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
edited 2008-07-13 23:08 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I’m working on a DIY Hydrogen fuel cell. I see people using PWM
controllers to control the cell output.

I’m not sure if they are controlling the gas flow directly, or the electric current which in turn controls the gas flow (I think this is it).

QUESTIONS:

Can I use the propeller for this PWM setup (How hard would it be?), Has anyone done it ? What would I need to do.

Maybe there is a product already available at Parallax ?

On this project, I really need something almost complete, I don’t have the time
to create a sub-project.

Any advise ?

Thanks,
-Areal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I have a tree growing out of my head, but

what do you expect ? I'm a programmer.

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-07-13 17:08
    The propeller can create PWM quite easily, Phil Pilgrim has posted a really nice object to do it.

First step it to understand what PWM is and then find out what these people are actually controlling.

Graham
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-07-13 19:54
    The hydrogen fuel cells I have used requre no dynamic regulation of the hydrogen gas. They use what they need based on how much current is being drawn. One does need to periodically purge the cell, at least on the ones I have used.

How are you making your fuel cell?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-07-13 23:08
    Areal, I think the propeller might be a little overkill if all you need is PWM. However, if you would like to add an LCD to show the frequency and duty cycle, and a keyboard to adjust these parameters, it would work well. In fact, I'm in the process of turning a protoboard, a sample enclosure, and an LCD into a ready made adjustable PWM controller with power mosfets installed. When it's done, it can be used for all sorts of applications since all I will need to do is hookup a power source and the load, and set the duty and frequency.

Is this what you had in mind? What sort of thing do you need to use PWM for? I can't think of anything on a Fuel Cell that would need this...