Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac OS X PPC users — Parallax Forums

Mac OS X PPC users

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-07-12 05:49 in Propeller 1
Are there any? What are you using to program your propellers?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pull my finger!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-11 18:08
    I used to have a PowerBook which I used for Propeller programming. You can run VirtualPC on it (slowly to be sure) under Windows XP. It won't download to the Propeller if there's anything running in the background, so don't do automatic Windows updates. I would edit under the MacOS and drag files to the Windows desktop to compile and download them. You have to be patient, but it does work.
  • ghost2ghost2 Posts: 9
    edited 2008-07-11 19:59
    BradC said...
    Are there any? What are you using to program your propellers?
    PowerBook with VirtualPC and Propeller Tool to edit, Loader.py in Terminal to download.

I would pay 100 USD (with the current exchange rate at least) for a Mac version of the Propeller Tool. I know this won't happen soon, but mention it anyway for Parallax marketing dept.

Same for Viewport, btw.

And since we're talking Macs: can anyone suggest a workaround for keyboards without an Insert key (to change edit mode).

G
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-07-12 05:14
    I think Command-M or Control-M or somthing-M works as insert... try them all.

Edit: I think this only works on VMWare,,,,

Post Edited (Ale) : 7/12/2008 6:14:08 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-07-12 05:49
    Brad

I use my Mac for word processing, but now that Oldbit is hot on the trail of a Prop based text editor that might change as well.

I have hopes for the Mac, but not in terms of programming the Prop. I see two reasons for keeping my Mac around... First it would be rather trivial to make some really nifty tools, which would aid in Prop program development... sort of a pre-compiler, which would serve the purposes of conditional compilation without having to change the compiler. I'm not going to do it, but I can see how it could easily be done and inevitably someone will get around to it... and the other reason is that one of these days it will be cheap and easy to have my Mac talking to my Prop in such a way as to allow me to mix the multi-threaded programming environment of the Mac with the highly deterministic world of the Prop and the result could be some really amazing machines... a few simple utilities here and a box or two there and a new synthesis seems just over the horizon.

I now have a hobby that fits very nicely into a space the size of a shoe box and is far more educational than anything I thought was possible. I hate lugging a laptop xp around and I really wish I didn't have to. What I really, really want is to be able to program my Prop with my Prop... and as I understand it that idea is on everyone's wish list.

Who knows, by this time next year the question, "What are you using to program your PROP...," will have only one answer ... "My other Prop."

Rich