Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to allow RFID access from web? — Parallax Forums

How to allow RFID access from web?

jeffjohnvoljeffjohnvol Posts: 197
edited 2008-07-23 19:41 in Propeller 1
In my neighborhood they are proposing to put up a racquetball court.· Some of the homeowners have expressed concern how to let people access it without giving a key to everyone.· I thought this would be a nice project to do with the prop/RFID reader and PINK kit, but I wanted to ask the group before I propose it to the homeowners board.

What I was thinking is to have each monthly member be given an RFID tag and have that tag id stored on the prop via a SIM card reader.· If a tag is valid, than trip a relay to open the door and power the lights in the facility for an hour through a relay of some sort.

That should be fairly easy I would think, but here is where I think it would get tricky.· If I were to set up a web page that allows people to log in and reserve a court, how can I get that information to the prop?· I can do the web page with php etc, which I know well.

I was thinking of having the prop use a PINK module to download a reservation file and put it on the sim card for reference.· At the time, it would only allow the reserved person's tag id in for the first 5 minutes of the hour, or if they were a no show any other valid member could get in.

It would also be nice if an administrator could go to the website and maintain the valid list (seperate file) to be downloaded by the prop.· I can do the web stuff np.· Its the prop integration I'd be worried about.

Is that easily done with the PINK module?

Also, if we were to use a neighbor's wireless (with their permission of course), is there a wireless G adapter that can be put on the cat5 cable that would make the PINK wireless?

Comments

• VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-07-11 00:37
    How are RFIDs preferable to keys for everyone?

Why not just have the web site cgi give them an encrypted auth number to write down on a card
    that codes their address and the limited times that they are authorized to use the court?
    The Prop then needs no internet database access for authorization nor access devices,
    just a realtime clock and a keypad to enter the number and a program to calculate if it's currently valid.
    ...and an eeprom cache of revoked unexpired numbers, if necessary.
  • jeffjohnvoljeffjohnvol Posts: 197
    edited 2008-07-11 02:14
    Keys can be copied and handed out to friends. RFID's are unique. If the court doesn't make enough money to cover expenses, the subdivision could take a financial hit, so we want to make sure people pay for use of it, and we won't have to pay to have it "manned".

The RFID would be more easily trackable, and I wouldn't have to come up with a random number scheme to generate and provide to the users. Also, its not for just reservations, but also for regular members that just walk in.

The RFID tags can also be programmed into the system for say a one time use of $7.50 or a 5 hour use for $25 that can be sold to individuals (pay the lifeguard). There would be a $2 deposit on the card that they would get back when they return it.
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-07-11 04:29
    The pink doesn't have a lot of space but it has plenty for something like your proposing, although it doesn't support PHP, you can have everything running on an external PHP server and only what you need to on the pink, you should be able to make this pretty transparent. it would be really easy to do what your proposing, as far as the hard ware goes. and I'm sure if your savy enough with html\java you won't need a RTC, you could pull the current time from the internet. I wouldn't think you would need to store the RFID numbers on an SD card, just read the card and compare it to the the IDs stored on the PHP server. if it matches a valid ID and is with in the correct times, the lock opens.

sounds like a fun project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
    edited 2008-07-11 13:42
    DGSwaner, thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about getting the time from the internet. Although I would probably lean towards keeping time with a cog on the prop, but syncing on bootup from the internet. Yes, I was planning on hosting the php somewhere else and pull the data from an ftp site that the php site populates (same external site). I might try to use the sim card just in case the site or connection is down. I would hate for it to not let anyone in based on a bad connection to the net. Plus their could be an unnecessary lag to gain entry.

Besides, I'll was planning on using the sim card for datalogging the comings and goings anyway.

Has anyone ever been able to use a webcam or other camera to put the jpg on a sim card? There is a concern about people loaning out their cards, and a stillshot with each scan would help audits.
  • KIHKIH Posts: 13
    edited 2008-07-11 15:16
    said...

There is a concern about people loaning out their cards, and a stillshot with each scan would help audits.

Nice project..

Log in and remember to also log out .. One hour can easy evolve to 2 hours when you are inside..

Little "overkill" maybe? -The camera..
    RFID should be good enough.. [noparse];)[/noparse]
    It's not Pentagon you try to protect, or is it?.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Think about how make the interface "safe" for public tampering.
    Electronics in public is always a nice challenge for people to "hack" and disassemble..
    edited 2008-07-11 16:55
    Yeah, the camera would be overkill. Its just when I propose this to the board, peole are going to be throwing a bunch of what if's like if a neighbor share's his card with another neighbor. Since we would have to charge for the use of courts, we don't want one membership to be shared.

If it was an easy do, or someone had done it, I could mention its possible.
  • NeohdNeohd Posts: 5
    edited 2008-07-22 18:30
    What about a combination of RFID and Biometrics?· That would confirm that the person that owns the account is the only one using it and the RFID tags are used for minutes or pre-paid type of deal?·

The interface from the Internet to the Prop will be easy, but require writting your own protcol to send commands to; However the PHP page you seek would have to be hosted on a machine that will have the ability and restricted access to tell the gate your commands.·

The interface from the Biometrics to the Prop, i have no idea; But if i think correctly, the biometrics just calculates a number or series of numbers like a serial number and uses that as your fingerprint.

Just a suggestion!

-Neohd
    edited 2008-07-22 21:55
    said...
    There is a concern about people loaning out their cards, and a stillshot with each scan would help audits.
    said...
    Has anyone ever been able to use a webcam or other camera to put the jpg on a sim card? There is a concern about people loaning out their cards, and a stillshot with each scan would help audits.

How about a digital camera with a time-stamp feature?
    edited 2008-07-23 02:06
    Neohd said...
    What about a combination of RFID and Biometrics?· That would confirm that the person that owns the account is the only one using it and the RFID tags are used for minutes or pre-paid type of deal?·

The interface from the Internet to the Prop will be easy, but require writting your own protcol to send commands to; However the PHP page you seek would have to be hosted on a machine that will have the ability and restricted access to tell the gate your commands.·

The interface from the Biometrics to the Prop, i have no idea; But if i think correctly, the biometrics just calculates a number or series of numbers like a serial number and uses that as your fingerprint.

Just a suggestion!

-Neohd
    Biometrics would be nice, but probably beyond my capabilities.

You are right about an external php server.· I have several domains I could use for that [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    End dependance on foreign oil.· www.pickensplan.com
    edited 2008-07-23 02:08
    VIRAND said...
    ·
    How about a digital camera with a time-stamp feature?
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    End dependance on foreign oil.· www.pickensplan.com
    edited 2008-07-23 07:35
    Well that should be easy. Many digital cameras have timestamp feature and I find it annoying
    when I forget to turn it off and it ruins my pictures. But it would be simple to
    push the "take picture button" mechanically or electronically under control of the system.
    It might be a problem to keep the camera from timing out and shutting off,
    keeping it powered and ready to take a picture, staying in the right mode,
    or having a lousy camera with a delay between pushing the button and taking the picture.

Also, This job is usually done very well by a CCTV DVR system.
    It's possible to make one out of a PC and a webcam,
    but I think the effort would only be worthwhile if you sold a lot of them.
  • Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-07-23 19:41
    If you are using a pink module then you could UDP a message to a small server at your house. Check authorization and send back a udp message with and OK or No-go. With some really simple database software you could add and remove customers from your desk at home.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Was it pin 11 or 26?· Hmmm....··I think the smell of smoke tells the whole story.· Must be 26.

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D
    Digital Technology Group