Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
quick basic stamp question — Parallax Forums

quick basic stamp question

firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
edited 2008-08-10 00:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hey when you burn out a I/o pin on the Board of education accidently due to over voltage or short circuit, does it damage the pins on the board or does it only damage the BS2 module?

Chris.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-07-10 11:54
    Doubt you could draw enough current through a Stamp pin long enough to damage the header pin.· If there's a·problem there it would be more likely from an external physical cause (an over-sized wire or component lead.)
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2008-07-10 13:03
    Chris--

I smoked pin 1 on a BS2 quite some time ago. It upset me. I got over it and now use the BS2 to test those "risky" setups (that do not require pin 1). As far as I can tell, everything continues to work fine. One day, I will probably make it a permanent part of something.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-07-10 15:58
    And yes, if you inadvertently short a Vdd and Vss trace on your board, it IS possible to burn out a trace.
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2008-08-09 21:18
    Bill,
    I soldered a 9V battery clip onto my BS2P Demo Board. Just so I could show a few guests one function I designed. I only used it once but left it there for convenience. Then one day the clip got stuck under the board and shorted a few pins of the Stamp. It blew out two of the I/O pins. I replaced the Stamp Chip and all is well again. Well worth the effort. If you want me to replace the chip for you let me know.
    Dave...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D. A. Wreski
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2008-08-10 00:52
    Dave--

How kind of you! Thank you! (I also envy your skills with a hot iron.)

I'll just use it, as is. I have plenty of Stamps laying around just waiting for me to let the magic smoke out or put them to use . . . hopefully the latter, but I am REAL good at the former!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.