Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What model of DS18S20 to get? — Parallax Forums

What model of DS18S20 to get?

jefmjefm Posts: 50
edited 2008-07-15 17:42 in BASIC Stamp
Hi gang,
Simple question but I wanted to make sure I order the right thing. I need to set up a twenty~ thermometer network on a Stamp, was going to get them from Digikey and just wanted to make sure that the "DS18S20ND" is the proper part. Linkage:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=DS18S20+-ND
There are several models of DS18S20 and I didn't want to pick the wrong one. thanks for any help!

Post Edited (Jef Miller) : 7/9/2008 2:15:53 PM GMT

Comments

• Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2008-07-09 15:41
    You can do to Maxim's website and check out the differences by viewing the packaging PDF's
    from here www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2815/t/or.

I would suggest you stick with the TO-92 form, and see Note 3. at the URL above. It has a link
    to a full explanation of the suffix codes used.

Also try a keyword search on just 18S20 (no -ND) and pick one with a minimum quantity of one (1)
    else you'll have to buy hundreds or thousands!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking

Post Edited (Fe2o3Fish) : 7/9/2008 3:47:38 PM GMT
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2008-07-09 17:09
    Be sure to understand that the only BASIC Stamps that directly support the one-wire protocol are the 'p series:
    BS2p, BS2pe and BS2px. The other Stamps cannot do one-wire protocol without an external bridge chip.

The DS18S20 is an older model of the chip. For about the same cost, you can buy the DS18B20, with a "B" instead of an "S". The main difference is that the DS18B20 provides 12 bits of resolution (1/16 degree Celsius), whereas the DS18S20 provides 9 bits (1/2 degree). It is possible to read the DS18B20 to higher resolution, but it takes extra i/o steps to read registers and do calculations, and they dispensed with that in the DS18B20. Be forewarned that the PBASIC code to read the "B" version is a little different from the code for the "S" version. Both are speced for 1/2 degree Celsius accuracy over the range of +10 to +85 Celsius, but will work over the full automotive temperature range.

Another option is the DS1822, which is lower cost, with 12 bit resolution but with an claimed accuracy of +/- 2 degrees Celsius.

The TO92 package is probably your best bet. They all come in that, as well as an 8 pin narrow SOIC, and the "B20" also comes in an 8-pin uMax form factor but avoid those unless you know what you are doing! BTW, a "+" after the part number means it is Pb-free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2008-07-11 13:52
    Jef,
    The DS-18B20 is a good choice. Thanks to Tracy Allen I have a working program for you. This one has Debug Output and you
    can easily change it for parallel of serial output. If you have more than one sensor you will have to identify each one.
    Here it is.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D. A. Wreski
  • jefmjefm Posts: 50
    edited 2008-07-15 17:42
    Thanks for the code Dave! I'll have to order those puppies up, cannot wait to try it!!! Thanks again all!