Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBox Guitar Button Interface — Parallax Forums

XBox Guitar Button Interface

NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
edited 2008-07-29 01:11 in BASIC Stamp
I am thinking this will be very simple for anyone with a little experience but unfortunatly I am a noob.

This is what I want to do.
1. Detect when a button is pressed on the guitar.
2. Programmatically press the button by sending the proper voltage to the proper wire.

Here is what I know.
I have disassembled an XBox guitar controller and have taken one of the buttons and traced the wires back to the source.
I have solidered a wire to each of those leads to be long enough to reach my breadboard next to it.
I have hooked my volt-ohm meter to those wire leads and when the button is NOT pressed the voltage seems to vary between 0.9v - 0.4v.
When I press the button the volts drops to 0v. I know my wires are connected correctly because if I touch the two wires together the game responds as if I pressed that button.

I have a Basic Stamp II in a breadboard and everything is hooked up I can write programs on my Windows XP PC and do simple tests like blinking LEDs, so everything is ready for me to test.

Here is what I dont know.
To keep this thread simple I would like to focus just on how to detect when the button is pressed.
Can someone help me figure out the wireing diagram and then point me in the right direction as far as the code goes.

Thanks in advance
NosePicker

Comments

• Dr. VetterDr. Vetter Posts: 34
    edited 2008-07-09 02:51
    well from the way you have described it
    sounds like its and active low switch (when switch is pressed sends a low or GND)
    as far as wiring diagram your going to have to do some circuit studying (look, follow, measure, write down)
    draw up a diagram, something simple as block1(power) connecting to block2(switch)

now to measure an input you first have to have a input pin(IN#), a main (DO...LOOP), (IF...THEN), and an output pin

Dr. Vetter
  • NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
    edited 2008-07-09 22:11
    Well I agree I need to do some research on my own but I am so new to this I don't know where to even start. I was thinking there would be some type of obvious circuit for an active low switch but I guess maybe even something that appears as trivial as this must still require specific knowledge of the existing circuit to know what to do. The programming is not a big deal that is what I do and I am sure I can figure that part out once I know what I need to do to connect one of the leads from the controller to my stamp.

Thanks anyways.
    nosepicker
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-07-10 01:08
    Do you want the Stamp to substitute button-pushes?

I don't·want to make assumptions about the electronics and start recommending a semiconductor-based interface on that basis, but I'll just figure that it's OK with shorting wires together as you have.·

So, I wonder how responsive, how fast, all that has to come about: what's fast enough?· It'd be pretty easy to use relays (if it's OK with shorting wires, it's OK with relay contacts), but you'd hear them clinking unless you put the assembly into a muffled-box ("flying leads" out to your x-box device.)·

It wouldn't be pretty or cutting-edge, but it could be effective.

Post Edit -- Possible device:· http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=138431&productId=138431

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 7/10/2008 1:18:01 AM GMT
    edited 2008-07-10 02:27
    Shorting two wires togeather is exactly what I think would work best simply because it would do exactly what would happen under normal operation when a person presses a button. Thanks for the idea of using a relay. However what I need to get working first is simply using the basic stamp to "detect" when someone has pushed a button. meaning I need to know how to connect one (or both) of the wires from the actual switch to a pin on the BS and monitor the voltage. As I said before when the voltage drops to zero I know the button was pressed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-07-10 02:31
    I am not sure you are testing the voltages on the switch correctly.
    Try connecting the red(+) of the volt meter to one of the button wires and black(-) of the volt meter to the black(-) wire from the guitar controllers battery.

This should give you a better reading. If pushing the button doesn't change the reading on the volt meter then connect the red(+) wire on the volt meter to the other wire from the switch.

This will tell you how the switch works, and will make it easier for us to help you with how to go about doing this. smile.gif

edit: so why are you wanting to have the basic stamp in the middle of the switch and controller anyway?
    Please provide information on what you are wanting to achieve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Stickers for sale

Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip
    edited 2008-07-10 03:02
    Well the guitar is powered by the usb cable so on [noparse][[/noparse]Test 1] I grounded the meter to the metal ground around the usb port on the xbox. Then I connected the + wire from the meter to one side of the switch. The voltage read about 13.5v - 14v. When the button was being pressed it dropped to 0v.

Then I grounded my meter to·my 6v power supply.·[noparse][[/noparse]Test 2] I connected my + wire from the volt meter to one side of the switch/button and I got a reading around 20v. When the button was pressed it dropped to about 2v. [noparse][[/noparse]Test 3] I then connected the + meter lead to the other side of the switch/button and the reading was about 0.3v. Then when the button is pressed there is no change in voltage. [noparse][[/noparse]Test 4] I then connected the two leads from the meter to the two sides of the switch, I get a reading about 0.75v. Then when the button is pressed the voltage drops to 0v.

Project Goal - Record and Playback.
    Ultimatlly I will have the stamp talk via serial communication to my pc, which I have done before in other projects. I will then "Record" the button presses with timing on the PC. Once that is complete I will want to do a "Playback" feature where the PC will handle the timing and will read back the recorded actions and send messages back to the stamp and I will want the stamp to "simulate" a button press. Once I learn how to "detect" a single button press and then later "create or simulate" a button press, I know how to do everything else. I will ultimatlly be monitoring 6 buttons and I will use a single byte and let each bit represent if the button is off or on.
    Thanks for your help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker

Post Edited (NosePicker) : 7/10/2008 3:39:06 AM GMT
    edited 2008-07-10 04:00
    20v is a lot for an x-box controller considering they work on 5v.
    Connect + on the voltmeter to one side of the button on the controller and - to the black wire on the usb port (not the metal case).

You should get 5v then drop to 0v when button pressed or visa-versa.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-07-10 04:18
    You are right the voltage varies depending on what I am grounding to. For the most part ( when grounding to the black wire of the controller ) the voltage is around 5v then drops to about 0.07v when the button is pushed in. so that is what I have to work with. Although I tested about 10 times over and it seems like maybe the clear coating on the solider spot I was using may have affected some of my test because once the voltage read only about 3v and another it read about 9v. But it looks like 5v is probably going to be the magic number. So given 5v when switch is open and 0.07v when switch is closed. how can I connect that to my BS so that I can read an input pin as high or low. I think I know how to code it, just not how to connect via resitors or whatever.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
    edited 2008-07-10 04:41
    The most simple way would be to connect the GND of the bs2 (dev board) to the gnd(black wire) of the controller.
    Then do this

Switch
    /\/\/\/
    BS2 pin

where /\/\/\/ is a 220ohm resistor.

This should give you what you want as long as the voltage from the button is no more than 5v. (more than 5v will most likely fry your BS2)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-07-10 16:04
    Thanks for the info. I would have never thought to connect the switche's ground to my breadboard's ground. That just doesn't register in my mind what that would do for my circuit. I can't wait till I get home to try this out. In the meantime I want to learn how stuff like this works and learn how to figure this out on my own. Are there some books or websites where I can read about the beginners type stuff? I know some of the very basics but I don't know how to determine what size resitor you need for any given situation or stuff like that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
    edited 2008-07-11 03:47
    WOW did I just learn a valuable lesson. I just spent the last few hours trying to figure out why my voltage was not right. After several hours of testing and getting really crazy results (one test would be 3.5 volts the next test, with the same leads, would be 8v the next 15v the next 20v the next 4v and so on.) After a while I realize while I was holding the + wire to the meter probe that if my finger touched the probe that would make the voltage jump all over the place. That is why I have been getting very inconsitant readings. I didn't know the human body would output so much voltage. Now that I have that out of the way I am getting a very consitant reading of 3.5v - 4.5v depending on which ground I use.

Here is my problem now, with my power supply turned off to my bread board, if I hook the + wire to a 220ohm resitor and the resitor to a pin on my basic stamp my voltage drops to 2.5v. Then if I connect the wires from my PC to the breadboard inorder for me to talk to the BS and send my program to it, then my voltage drops to 1.5v. Now when I load my program the result is showing that when I press the button it works perfectly ( I am displaying all 0,0,0,0,). However when the button is not pressed it appears the pin / voltage is dropping because when the button is not pressed I will display mostly 0,0,0,0, but occasionally it will do 1,1,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,0... So it thinks the button is being pressed. Below is my code, I think there is still a problem with wiring the circuit right.

<Circuit> -wire from switch is connected to the ground on the breadboard. The + wire from the switch is connected via a 220ohm resitor to pin7 on the basic stamp. Other than the required wireing to make the stamp work that is all the wiring there is.

=========== Code =====================
    input 7

checkpin:
    pause 20
    debug DEC IN7
    goto checkpin
    ================

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2008-07-11 12:18
    Sounds like you still have a wiring problem.· I would try to confirm that the ground you are using is the same as the ground the switch is using.· I say that because you mentioned that you were getting 3.5 to 4.5 v depending on the ground you reference.· The stamp's input has a threshold of 1.4 volts.· If the input is at 1.4 volts or greater the stamp will see a logic one, less than that is a logic zero.
    edited 2008-07-11 23:00
    I solidered two wires to the controller. One to the + side of the switch and one to the - side. I then routed the wires to hang out of the controller then reassembled the controller. I know the wires are correct because if I touch the two wires togeather (with the xbox running) the game reacts to the same as if I pressed the button, which is what I want. Now just dealing with those two wires I can measure the voltage. Which I found does not seem to stay the same all the time so I just connected my probes to the wires and left them laying on the table and they seem to stay at only 2.3v. Which normally would be OK but my breadboard is changing the voltage by a crazy amount. So to eliminate all the confusion I disconnected all the wires from my PC to the breadboard. So the only thing connected is my 6v power supply. The negative is connected to my BS ground (pin23) and the + is connected to the BS power (pin24). If the power to the breadboard is turned off and I connect the ground to the ground track of the power supply the voltage will drop to 2.0v (so I lose about 0.3v) If I turn the powersupply on it is the same thing. If I turn off the power supply and disconnect the switch ground wire and connect the + switch wire to a 220ohm resitor which is connected to a pin on the BS then the voltage changes to 13v. If I turn on the power supply the voltage changes to 17v. If I turn off the power supply and connect both switch wires to the breadboard the voltage drops to 0.4v. If I turn the power on the voltage will go to 1.8v. Go figure, I just don't understand why the voltage changes so much. Could my stamp be bad? Any other project I try like blinking leds all seem to work. I think maybe microsoft may be doing something to prevent people from doing what I am trying to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
    edited 2008-07-13 08:37
    The switch shouldn't have a (+) and a (-).
    It should have an in and an out. When you push it the two wires are connected joining the circuit.

By connecting one of the switch wires to GND you are shorting the circuit this will cause the voltage to drop and if not fixed can cause damage to both the BS2 and the xbox controller.

You should have it wired something like this.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=54545

When the switch is pushed the wire with the 220 ohm resistor on it goes from 0v to 5v or something like this.

If you could upload some pictures of the front and back of the xbox controller board then I could draw on the pics to show you where your wires need to go.

Hope this helps smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/13/2008 9:04:22 AM GMT
    679 x 452 - 12K
  • bryan mcdonaldbryan mcdonald Posts: 27
    edited 2008-07-13 10:30
    I think if you use a relay instead, one would be isolated from the two different power supplies (which could be a good thing).

Neat project! I think once the interface is correct, you may have timing issues since I think you are going to try and stay in sync for a whole song (hard to do open loop). If there was a way to get feedback during the song (maybe by syncing with audio or video), you'll become closed loop and able to stay in sync better.
    edited 2008-07-13 11:15
    bryan,

An optocoupler would be an easy way of isolating the two circuits but I believe it would be beneficial for NosePicker to get how to interface to a switch before we start introducing him to other electronics.

I also agree that it is a great project and would recommend that he looks at my project as it unfolds. robot.tmcp.com.au/buildingblock/projects/guitar.htm
    Sorry for the quick plug. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-07-15 13:03
    I have attached pictures of the front and back of the controller board and labeled the significant areas.
    As you will see the green and red button share (what I call the ground wire) and the yellow and blue share a ground wire as well.
    Here is the wierd thing, if I connect the ground of the orange button to the green and red ground, then if I press the green button then the xbox thinks I have also pressed the orange button but not the red.

I think from what I learned on another project yesterday that I now know how to "playback" by using a transistor. All I think I need to know now is how to build a circuit for "recording" or detecting when a button is pressed. If you could help me with an example of where to connect which wires for just one button then I should be able to reproduce the same for the rest of the buttons.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
    1280 x 960 - 234K
    1280 x 960 - 156K
    edited 2008-07-15 13:20
    Connect the (-) of the Voltmeter to USB (GND) and then the (+) of the voltmeter to each switch pin.

Press and release each button and record the results.

Green Pressed Released
              1=xxV    1=xxV
              2=xxV    2=xxV
              3=xxV    3=xxV
              4=xxV    4=xxV
              5=xxV    5=xxV
              6=xxV    6=xxV
              7=xxV    7=xxV
              8=xxV    8=xxV

Red    Pressed Released
              1=xxV    1=xxV
              2=xxV    2=xxV
              3=xxV    3=xxV
              4=xxV    4=xxV
              5=xxV    5=xxV
              6=xxV    6=xxV
              7=xxV    7=xxV
              8=xxV    8=xxV

Yellow Pressed Released
              1=xxV    1=xxV
              2=xxV    2=xxV
              3=xxV    3=xxV
              4=xxV    4=xxV
              5=xxV    5=xxV
              6=xxV    6=xxV
              7=xxV    7=xxV
              8=xxV    8=xxV

Blue   Pressed Released
              1=xxV    1=xxV
              2=xxV    2=xxV
              3=xxV    3=xxV
              4=xxV    4=xxV
              5=xxV    5=xxV
              6=xxV    6=xxV
              7=xxV    7=xxV
              8=xxV    8=xxV

Orange Pressed Released
              1=xxV    1=xxV
              2=xxV    2=xxV
              3=xxV    3=xxV
              4=xxV    4=xxV
              5=xxV    5=xxV
              6=xxV    6=xxV
              7=xxV    7=xxV
              8=xxV    8=xxV

I know this may look time consuming but it will give me a good idea of how the switches work. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip A web site designed to help people who are new to the propeller chip.

Guitar Hero controller using the prop (WIP) --> HERE

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/15/2008 2:14:37 PM GMT
    edited 2008-07-16 01:39
    By the way I realized today that the pinouts I listed on the photo were wrong. I was trying to do it from memory and got some off. Below are the correct pinouts for the buttons. After pressing each button I retested all the pins and the voltage always went back to the same values. However the longer I tested the overall lower the voltage readings seemed to be, so I powered off my volt/ohm meter and restarted it a few minutes later and the voltage seemed to go back to "normal" so maybe the battery is weak in the meter but the patteren is very obvious as to what is happening. Generally speaking the wires for each switch is about 2.7v on one side and 0.003v on the other side. When the button is pressed the voltage for both sides goes to 0.06v. The remaining is the test results.

Corrected pinouts
    Color·· +Pin·-Pin
    Green·· 8····· 1
    Red····· 7···· ·3
    Yellow· 6····· 3
    Blue···· 2····· 1
    Orange·5····· 4

No Buttons Pressed

· 1 = 0.003v··
    · 2 = 2.7v··
    · 3 = 0.003v··
    · 4 = 0.003v··
    · 5 = 2.7v··
    · 6 = 2.7v··
    · 7 = 2.7v··
    · 8 = 2.7v··

Button Pressed

Green

· 1 = 0.06v·*
    · 2 = 2.5v
    · 3 = 0.003v
    · 4 = 0.002v
    · 5 = 2.2v
    · 6 = 2.0v
    · 7 = 2.5v
    · 8 = 0.06v·*

Red
    · 1 = 0.005v
    · 2 = 2.2v
    · 3 = 0.06v·*
    · 4 = 0.005v
    · 5 = 2.7v
    · 6 = 2.7v
    · 7 = 0.06v·*
    · 8 = 2.8v

Yellow
    · 1 = 0.005v
    · 2 = 2.7v
    · 3 = 0.06v· *
    · 4 = 0.005v
    · 5 = 2.2v
    · 6 = 0.06v· *
    · 7 = 2.5v
    · 8 = 2.2v

Blue
    · 1 = 0.06v·*
    · 2 = 0.06v·*
    · 3 = 0.004v
    · 4 = 0.003v
    · 5 = 2.0v
    · 6 = 2.0v
    · 7 = 2.0v
    · 8 = 2.0v

Orange
    · 1 = 0.004v
    · 2 = 2.2v
    · 3 = 0.007v
    · 4 = 0.06v·*
    · 5 = 0.06v·*
    · 6 = 2.0v
    · 7 = 2.0v
    · 8 = 2.0v

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2008-07-16 02:33
    you might be dealing with a switch matrix.· a closer look at the switch board (assuming there is a board) might tell·more.· this explains the basics of a switch matrix.· ·http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/html/·
    edited 2008-07-16 03:20
    If it is a switch matrix than I don't see how you could detect a button push when you don't have control over the columns.
    I am assuming that the low reading of 2.7v is because the volt-meter isn't fast enough for the fast switching columns of the matrix.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the below and if it works then we might be able to get something going.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=54589

Run your test program that outputs 1's and 0's to the Debug window.
    Push the green button and release, see what you get.

If that doesn't work then there is another way of doing it but it would involve desoldering the buttons from the controller.
    But the BS2 would not be fast enough for that design and the propeller chip would have to be used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip A web site designed to help people who are new to the propeller chip.

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/16/2008 5:38:26 AM GMT
    783 x 440 - 8K
    edited 2008-07-16 05:05
    So from looking at your diagram, I only need to connect switch wire #8 to a 220 ohm resistor and connect the resistor to an input pin on the basic stamp. No other wires, grounds etc needed?

I solidered a red wire to the circuit board on pad #8 and made the circuit however after getting such bizar readings I decided to take apart my second guitar to see if that controller did the same thing and it did.

If I check the voltage by connecting my meters ground to the usb ground and my meters + lead to the solider pad for switch pad 8 before connecting the red wire to my breadboard I get anywhere from 3.3v - 2.7v. But after I connect to my breadboard just how you see in the picture I get a reading of anywhere from (get this....)·35v - 60v ( no I didn't forget the decimal and yes I checked about 10 times to verify I was reading it right.)

By the way I connected the resistor to pin 8 on the basic stamp. and the output was 0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1,etc... even if I pressed the button it would still flip between 1s and 0s.

Here is the code for the basic stamp:

input 8

MainLoop:

pause 250

if (IN8 = 0) then isoff

debug "1,"

goto MainLoop

isoff:

debug "0,"

goto MainLoop

I also attached a picture of the actual switch board you will see the same cable attached to the end of this board which is what is attached to pads 1 - 8 on the main circuit board. And a picture of the circuit board after I solidered the red wire to pad #8.

As a side note, what are you using to draw your diagrams with?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker

Post Edited (NosePicker) : 7/16/2008 5:24:45 AM GMT
    640 x 480 - 60K
    640 x 480 - 60K
    640 x 480 - 58K
    edited 2008-07-16 05:40
    Sorry I forgot the GND connection in the diagram above.
    I have made the change to the diagram so that you have an accurate reference.

I have tested your code and it works fine.

You could simplify your code with this though.
    INPUT 8

MainLoop:
    PAUSE 250
    IF IN8 THEN
    DEBUG "1,"
    ELSE
    DEBUG "0,"
    ENDIF
    GOTO MainLoop

Just a suggestion (will save on code space)

edit:

If that doesn't work then try this.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=54590

P.S. I use eagle from www.cadsoft.de for my schematics and boards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/16/2008 8:16:31 AM GMT
    843 x 440 - 9K
    edited 2008-07-16 12:18
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your original diagram appears to work. Unfortunatly for me I woke up this morning and connected the BS ground to the USB ground and when I went to boot my PC to run the program my primary harddrive crashed, so I downloaded the BS Editor on another one of my PCs connected it and when I first tried it, my Xbox was locked up so I thought it was not working. After I noticed it locked up I rebooted the xbox and now it appears to work.

The sad part is now I have to go to work for the rest of today so it will be this afternoon before I can finish testing.

Dude if this works then I am going to buy you something from this website and send it to you.

I will post later this afternoon to let you know how it goes. I guess I will be rebuilding another PC this evening :-(

Thanks a million.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
    edited 2008-07-16 12:23
    Glad that it appears to be working. The real test will be when you try multiple buttons.
    Helping each other is what the community is for. Who knows one day you may help me. smile.gif

For testing try this code.
    INPUT 1
    INPUT 2
    INPUT 3
    INPUT 4
    INPUT 5

MainLoop:
    PAUSE 250
    IF IN1 THEN DEBUG "GREEN, "
    IF IN2 THEN DEBUG "RED, "
    IF IN3 THEN DEBUG "YELLOW, "
    IF IN4 THEN DEBUG "BLUE, "
    IF IN5 THEN DEBUG "ORANGE "
    DEBUG CR
    GOTO MainLoop

Make sure the pins are the ones you are using. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/16/2008 12:45:04 PM GMT
    edited 2008-07-16 15:14
    If all that goes well and you want to have a bit of fun then you can try this. XBOX_Test.zip

The .zip file contains a text file with the code for the BS2 and an application that will show you what buttons are pressed. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (computer guy) : 7/17/2008 1:13:59 AM GMT
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2008-07-16 20:17
    Now if you can get the BS2 to hack their security chip, you'd be in the money [noparse]:D[/noparse]

edited to add:· ....or in jail· [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    edited 2008-07-17 04:41
    NosePicker said...
    The sad part is now I have to go to work for the rest of today so it will be this afternoon before I can finish testing.

Wow you must work long hours. I have been waiting 12 hours for a response, so far. tongue.gif
    I really want to know if it all works. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-07-17 09:17
    Removing the pause in the code in XBOX_Test.zip will make the pc react almost immediately to button presses but will drain battery power. Use a power supply if you plan on running the program for really long periods of time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-07-17 11:23
    well yesterday I decided I wanted to go ahead and get all the solidering done with the controller so I used a VGA connector to connect all of the wires in the controller. Since I will need both the + and - for each button that is 8 wires and there are 3 more for strumming up and down and the USB ground. So there will be 12 in all. A VGA cable has 15 pins with 14 of them actually connected, which gives me 2 spare in case I need another wire later. I spent most of my time last night deciding how to do this, but now I have that all done. After all the solidering I was complete I closed everything back up and tested the controller and it still works so I am happy nothing got fried and now I have a nice clean looking VGA port on the back of the controller

I will use a power supply because I have to be close to a computer to do what I have to do anyhow so I am just going to make my circuit reside at the PC. I am about to try to quickly get the 5 main buttons connected to my breadboard before I am back off to work so if I get it done I will let you know, else it will be later on tonight. By the way I am in Georgia so I am going by EST. Wont get home till about 8 or so. Now that I think most of the electrical mystries are out of the way I will begin developing the recorder, editor and playback logic this weekend.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker