Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
maybe stupid question — Parallax Forums

maybe stupid question

martintelefontmartintelefont Posts: 9
edited 2008-07-09 05:17 in Propeller 1
Is there a quick and dirty way of how to send a signal between 2 propeller chips? If so how? I imagine there is some routine in there that is used for saving bit strings on a external eeprom or something like that.

I imagine you could send it via multiple pins on/off or by synchronizing them by using the same external crystal. But before I get started on this, I thought I ask.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-08 23:05
    There are all kinds of ways to send data between Propellers.· It depends on how many pins you want to devote to this, how fast you want to transfer data, how complicated you want to code to be, etc.

You can use something like SPI or asynchronous serial for moderate speeds.· There's a thread somewhere here on a very high speed Propeller to Propeller link.

Probably the simplest would be to use an asynchronous serial link.· That requires only one line in each direction and there are a variety of routines available in the Propeller Object Exchange to do the byte by byte transfers.
    ·
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-07-08 23:21
    martintelefont,

As Mike said, it depends on your·project requirements.

The link below I wrote specifically for Prop-to-Prop·communication where you could "dump" large blocks of data back and forth in a very short amount of time.· It may or may not work for your needs.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=691952

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 7/9/2008 6:35:27 AM GMT
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-07-09 05:17
    Quick and dirty method?
    Super fast morse code; dots and dashes for zeroes and ones.
    Send -.-.-.-. first so you can measure the average arbitrary speed at the receiving end.
    Let the receiving end time out at the end of the data transfer.