Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac / Linux users. Are you using a USB propclip/demoboard or serial connection ? — Parallax Forums

Mac / Linux users. Are you using a USB propclip/demoboard or serial connection ?

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-07-02 22:21 in Propeller 1
There is a reason for this question of course.
Personally as a Mac/Linux user I'm using a PropClip to talk to my Protoboards with VirtualBox. What are you non-windows users using.

Secondly. Mac Users, what version of the OS are you using, and are you PPC or Intel?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pull my finger!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-02 17:12
    I've used all versions of the Mac OS since Mac OS X came out. I currently use Windows XP under VMWare's Fusion, but I've also used Parallel's Desktop and CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac (which has some problems, but sort of works). I've used Microsoft's Virtual PC on a PPC to run early Propeller Tool versions, but now I have an Intel MacBook. I currently use a PropPlug, but I have also used Keyspan's High Speed Serial Adapter with a PropStick.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-07-02 17:20
    Thanks Mike. What version of MacOS are you currently using?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-02 17:22
    The latest: 10.5.4
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-07-02 17:30
    BradC,

On a similar setup,

I am also using Windows XP on a VMware Workstation ( version 6.0.3 build-80004 ) with·Fedora 8·( 64-bit kernel, version 2.6.23.1-42.fc8·)
    I tried Fedora 9, but VMwares drivers have not yet caught up (last I tried) unless you want to·jump through·some hoops.

USB<-->Propeller·communication and programming work fine with this setup

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 7/2/2008 5:37:52 PM GMT
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-07-02 20:44
    Another iMac'er reporting in:

Since December 2007, running an Intel iMac (OS 10.5.3 presently) with Parallels virtual machine to run Windows XP.

Works pretty great. Except some function keys require 'ln' key held down to Step or Reset using the PASDebugger. Don't know if it is fault with iMac, Parallels or XP; a nuisance for sure; prefer one-handed to two-handed operations.
    yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-07-02 20:45
    I'm using a self.made FT232 adapter with either Mac OS 10.5.3 (now it is abgekackt so I turned to Tiger till I can find the Leo disk and reinstall und bla bla) with VMWare Fusion and Windoof eXtra Pitiful. On the linux Side I'm on Ubuntu 8.4 with VMWare Server und a similar windoof setup. The proptool works better under MacOS VMWare than Linux though. There is a lack of integration... but "copy-and-paste" works so I copy from my real development tool (pPropellerSim) to the PropTool (I program exclusively in asm, I'm a tough guy, so I feel the pai^H^H^H^H^H I mean I enjoy the speed wink.gif.
  • Forest GodfreyForest Godfrey Posts: 38
    edited 2008-07-02 21:46
    I'm running MacOS X 10.4.9? (whatever the latest 10.4 is) with a Prop Plug (which I think is the same hardware as the Clip). The hardware is an Intel 17" MacBook Pro.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 under Parallels Desktop. It all seems to work quite nicely, though I have to remember to plug in the Prop Plug *after* starting Windows.

I would *vastly* prefer to be running under MacOS natively or Linux. My prefered "IDE",. and what I use exclusively in my day job, is gcc, Make, and vi for my editor. Unfortunately, writing Spin in anything other than the integrated editor scares me due to the fact that it is whitespace sensitive (IMO, that's about the worst "feature" of Spin - I expect, though, that some people here probably *love* that about Spin - can't please everyone [noparse]:)[/noparse]

At some point, I may switch to the ImageCraft C compiler, but, frankly, my tollerance for buying software that only runs on an OS I can't stand is low.... I'd've bought it already if it ran under MacOS or Linux. Hint, hint [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-07-02 22:21
    I am running on a Mac Pro laptop. 10.5.4 as of yesterday. Also running the latest build of Parallels with Windows XP. To be safe, I always wash my hands after using windows. [noparse];)[/noparse]

I use the PropPlugs and protoboards
    I sure wish we could get the generic spin compiler project moving, but everyone is busy with summer I guess.

Forest, you do not have to plug the USB in after. Just click on the USB icon at the bottom of the Parallels screen, Uncheck the FT232R device, then recheck it.

Post Edited (Chuck Rice) : 7/2/2008 10:30:17 PM GMT