Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keyboard Trouble — Parallax Forums

Keyboard Trouble

jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
edited 2008-07-02 00:01 in Propeller 1
I discovered one of my keyboards is bad today; worked fine last time I used it.
I'm using a Propeller Protoboard, and that is the only thing I've used with the keyboard.

Is it possible the Protoboard damaged the keyboard?
Are there special steps required for connecting a keyboard to Propeller Protoboard?

I'm afraid to try another one now. Anyone have such experience?·· TIA

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-01 22:42
    There are no special steps for connecting the Parallax PS/2 keyboard (or any PS/2 keyboard or mouse) to the Protoboard.· Probably the only thing that you could do to damage is would be to accidentally short the power input to one of the PS/2 connections and that wouldn't be easy.· Since the connections are part of the PCB traces, it would be hard to get them wrong.

Does your PC have a PS/2 keyboard connector?· Can you try the keyboard there?

·
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-07-01 23:18
    I haven't seen a keyboard go bad in a very long time... How bad is it? Any lights? Tried it with a PC?
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-07-01 23:38
    I just had this happpen to me. With a ProtoBoard nonetheless so this thread caught my attention. I discovered one of the pins in the connectors bent over. I am always unplugging and plugging a keyboard.....vs a computer where most people connect the keyboard, then never unplug it again until they buy a new computer.

Check and make sure all pins are intact. It fooled me at first because the keyboard was getting 5v and VSS, so the num lock, caps lock lights worked. but either the data or clock pin was bent so no response when keys were pressed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-07-02 00:01
    Tried it on another PC; no workie. No bent pins.
    Tried another Keyboard and it works just fine.
    Sometimes all the lights go on; other times no lights.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔