Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Frequency Synthesis, Prop-based MRI and errata — Parallax Forums

Frequency Synthesis, Prop-based MRI and errata

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-07-01 15:56 in Propeller 1
I've been pulled away from my Prop .... due to circumstances beyond human control. I'm down to stealing a few hours a week(: Hopefully this will change in the near future. In what little spare time I have available, I have been re-reading Andre's book. If you are new to the Prop, Andre's book deserves a Pulitzer in technical righting. It is fresh, funny and incredibly well thought out and you don't need a Hydra to understand it... although it helps.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is seeing a person come online for the first time and ask for simple advice... "what should I buy?" "I'm a hardware guy not a software guy... am I going to be able to...?" "Has anyone used the Prop to...?"... and then as if flying through a black hole at light speed they are back with incredible projects.

The growth in the OBE is phenomenal... what is already available and what surely is just down the pike a little is stunning. Good work Guys!!!

Over the weekend I was re-reading material from Parallax and Andre's book about video and I think I'm starting to get a handle on it... but I don't know for sure because I don't have time to play with it.

While reviewing the last few days of the forum, I came across a very interesting thread by BTX http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=275970

Basically, BTX had a question about generating 3 specific frequencies, which problem (happily) had a very elegant solution.

I've seen cog interleaving discussed and implemented to improve video resolution... and video is just a signal... So, wouldn't it be possible to use one or more interleaved video signals to get just about any kind of frequency/resolution up to certain limits? And what would those limits be for a binary signal? Is this possible? Am I missing a fact that makes this a stupid idea?

If this is possible... it would still leave the cogs available for some other kinds of limited tasks.

In my mind a complete answer to my questons might be equivalent to a master's thesis... so, thumb nail approximations of what is possible would be more than sufficient[noparse]:)[/noparse]

For aspiring Prop heads or experts looking for a project... if this approach is feasible, a very simple object demonstrating such a technique would be worth its weight in gold (in terms of bragging rights[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks

Rich

In terms of applications areas, I deeply suspect that there is a real need to be able to control complex signals to interrogate and manipulate biologic systems, which use such signals for biologic integration and function. Physical systems such as hydrology could benefit from an essentially free signal generator. If you would want to build a simple Prop-based one pixel MRI system for you home, you can already do it... (and you can already modify published code for cog interleaving to generate complex signals) Technically, you would have a choice ... you could modulate a magnetic field and then looked what happens at a fixed frequency or you could use a fixed magnetic field and sweep a signal through your sample. OR you could do both. (Purists would object to the term "one pixel MRI machine." "Home-brew NMR" would be perfectly acceptable[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-07-01 10:54
    The point of BTX's problem was that he got phase jitter when he generated a frequency with the counters. The jitter occurs at a lower frequency than the output frequency so by monitoring with the cog it can be prevented even for high frequency I think. If you are not bothered by jitter you already have a pretty neat NCO that can be modulated.

I wonder if you could suggest the kinds of signals you want to produce as I for one don't know anything about biologic interrogation or hydrology.

I suppose another name for a one pixel MRI would be an MRI sensor. But what is the localization and what use the output. Has this already been done, links, references?

Cheers,

Graham
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-07-01 15:56
    A Propeller is cheap, but giant superconducting magnets are a bit pricey.· smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔