Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Would you use a GUI at all to interact with Propeller ? — Parallax Forums

Would you use a GUI at all to interact with Propeller ?

jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
edited 2008-06-29 14:17 in Propeller 1
I'm considering designing a GUI (Windows application or some other means) as an interface to a small Propeller configuration database and would like to know if it would be a fair use of my time.

In·vampyr's Standards for hardware ... O/S ... thread. There is a discussion for providing a small database for a run-time hardware configuration spec in addition to a compile-time hardware configuration spec.

The database would allow precompiled binaries to get the user's hardware configuration for interacting with external elements without requiring a reboot of the system as would most likely be the case for the compile-time spec.

One of the difficulties to overcome is how the user would configure the database. Having basic I/O performed by the Propeller would be necessary in this scenario.

An application can be launched on Propeller to provide full programming ability at some point. I guess one question is whether a Propeller application is launchable today.

Some users might prefer a GUI for configuring the database. I would like to know how much interest is in such a GUI before spending much·time on it.

A GUI is attractive for several reasons:
  1. Visual data organization.
  2. Context sensitive help.
  3. Easy input range validation.
  4. Capability for getting automatic updates of common data.
  5. Front end off-loads the uC (less memory used).
  6. Program in the uC could be very simple and less subject to change.
  7. Other advantages.

If you think a GUI would be useful for interacting with Propeller for programming a configuration database the please let me know. All code should be made available under MIT liscense.

Being able to define requirements in the design process is very important. A requirement is a usage aspect that affects design decisions.

All requirements any user may have that is interested in a GUI should be submitted in this thread by users along with their GUI interest level. If there is no interest, then wasting time on a Saturday is not so bad.

It is possible that a similar GUI might be designed in various languages ... that's what developers do [noparse]:)[/noparse] If that happens, having a good list of requirements could help in getting minimum features in them all.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• vampyrevampyre Posts: 146
    edited 2008-06-29 06:11
    I can't see myself using one, for the simple reason that i want to see what im doing. GUI's have a nasty way of hiding the important details. I dont think i speak for most people though.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-29 13:11
    I can see a use for it, but not sure how extensive. When I need to interact with a microcontroller App I usually write a command line handler and use a Terminal Emulator. That can have quite an overhead in the micro's code. Ultimately that converts text input to "command, args" which get sent to a command handler and 'print' sends results back. No reason not to scrap the command line parser and have an interface straight with the command handler.

Very few of my apps have needed such integration to the real world by this means though. The one app which did used a PC as a http bridge to create a SitePlayer type setup for a micro which had no ethernet controller, only serial in and out.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-06-29 14:17
    I have used .NET applications (front end GUI) for various machines with hardware controlled by propeller .. works nicely.
    Mainly for machines gathering QC data - reading/writing to/from network based databases - calculating SD,CP and CPK for production - creating html files to display on internal website and pdf's of batch data emailed to specific locations on request.

Years back I had Visual studio 6 apps with stamp based controllers .. here was one (old visual studio 6) with the operator trying it out before it was tweaked ..

Barracuda

Most machines I make are purely micro based - doing away with the need for the 'bloatware' and licensing issues.
    There is another option - have a HMI unit as the front end - they are simple to setup/program.

www.beijerelectronics.com/web/beijer_electronics.nsf/AllDocuments/748165FB7E8F0FA0C12573320028DA56

John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 6/29/2008 2:39:08 PM GMT