Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Blown PLL — Parallax Forums

Blown PLL

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2008-07-02 16:56 in Propeller 1
I've been using a protoboard in an experimental rig of mine for months, the day before yesterday I made some modifications, tested it and it worked fine. Then I moved it into its new home to try it out proper, I powered up and the program didn't work. I checked for electrical gremlins (bits of wire and loose connections) and nothing. Then I ran a simple program and it worked but still no video out, diagnosis a blown PLL.

I found a recent post by Paul Baker on the likely causes and how to avoid them. One thing that struck me was that I was powering the demoboard from a wall wart and the stepper motors from a 12v 5A switchmode supply. I had the two plugged into the same "dado" in the lab but quite a way apart. The wiring in my box was bothering me too, not very neat at all as it was a bit of a rush job.

So I rewired box from scratch, now the protoboard, LCD screen and steppers are powered from the same 12v supply. The master switch switches power to the protoboard and screen, then a second switch can be used to power up the stepper motors. After some checks I powered up the unit, protoboard worked fine outputting video to screen as normal, then I turned on the steppers; the propeller rebooted but still worked. I repeat the cycle and then nothing. PLL blown again.

I'm wondering if I have removed some poor practice only to replace it with some more poor practice.

What does worry me is that much of the advice in Paul's post concerned PCB design, I'm using a protoboard and so a lot of my wiring if off the board. As far as I can tell there is nothing horrendous in my electrical construction and I'm a bit surprised this has become an issue.

I have one protoboard left but feel I must work out what to do to protect it before re wiring.

Graham

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-27 13:41
    It's hard to offer advice without more information. Paul did talk a lot about PCB design, but the main issues involved spikes on any lines going to the Propeller. Perhaps you have some ground loops and the 12V supply surges are inducing voltage surges in the Propeller's ground reference. So much depends on exactly how you have things connected, where the wires run, etc.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-06-27 13:51
    I've got a couple of spare Propeller QFP and DIL chips, just in case. They do seem rather fragile, but I haven't damaged one yet on my Parallax Proto board or my home-made proto PCB which has the DIL version in a socket.

It should be quite easy to replace the Propeller, if you know what you are doing. ChipQuik and a good soldering iron is the best way to do it.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-27 13:55
    Well the ground enters the rear of the box via a 4mm banana plug and goes to the propeller (2" wire), screen and to the stepper drives directly, each has it's own wire rather than being daisy chained. Steppers are running at 0.6A/phase.

The positive is switched at the front of the box, I doubled up the wires for these connections. Again each drive has a seperate wire for its positive supply.

Graham
    edited 2008-06-27 13:57
    Actually I do have a few QFP chips so I might well do that but the same thing applies, I must feel I understand and have resolved the problem.

Graham
    edited 2008-06-27 14:11
    Unfortunately, that's not enough information. For example, how are you switching the stepper phases? What gauge wires for carrying power? Are the signal and power wires bundled together? I assume you have "snubber" diodes across the stepper windings.
    edited 2008-06-27 14:48
    It might be a good idea to put a transient suppressor like an AVX TransGuard on the Propeller supply line. I always use them on designs that might have to run in close proximity to motors. You can also put them on any inputs.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-27 15:09
    I was just guessing what information was needed. I am using commercial micro stepping drives, the propeller only provides step and direction signals. The inputs to the drivers are opto-isolated, they get 5v from the protoboard and have inbuilt resistors. They will of course have protective diodes.

These are the drives:

www.imshome.com/Product%20Manual%20PDF/im483.pdf

I am using 0.25mm^2 wire, doubled up until it splits to the drives. The signal and power are not bundled together.

I doubt the problem is being caused by the step direction signals due to the optoisolators so I suppose that leaves the supply lines. Ground loops are mentioned a lot, I understand what these are, two points that should be of the same potential are not due to voltage drops etc but is the essential cause of a PLL failure that the supply to the propeller has become greater than is should be? Can this be caused just as easily by a high spike on the positive line than a low spike on the ground?

Ground loop is just a pair of words to be, I'm trying to understand what is actually happening when the PLL blows, it it just about current entering the ground?

Graham
    edited 2008-06-27 15:39
    The Propeller is designed for a 3.3V supply voltage. Voltages above 4.0V will damage the chip by "zapping" through thin gate oxide layers. It looks like the PLL multiplexor is a sensitive point for some reason and that's what appears to be damaged first.

You can get voltages above 4V several ways:

1) Connecting Vdd/Vss to the wrong supply voltage

2) Connecting an I/O pin to a voltage more than 0.6V above Vdd or more than 0.6V negative (to Vss). This causes conduction of the "protective" diodes on the I/O pins and, due to resistance of the traces (conductors) on the chip, can cause local increases in the power bus voltages on the chip to where something breaks.

3) Noise induced in the Vdd supply to the chip can temporarily raise the supply voltage. A 0.7V noise spike induced in the Vdd supply wiring will exceed the absolute maximum supply voltage (3.3V + 0.7V=4.0V).

4) Noise induced in the Vss supply to the chip can temporarily raise the supply voltage. A 0.7V negative spike induced in the ground supply wiring will exceed the absolute maximum supply voltage. The ground becomes -0.7V and the normal 3.3V supply now becomes 4.0V with respect to the effective ground at the Propeller chip.

A ground loop is really a manifestation of electrical resistance in ground circuitry. If I connect a power source to a motor through a wire with 1/100 Ohm resistance and the motor draws a maximum of 10A of current, there will be a voltage drop across that wire of 0.1V. Let's say that wire is used for both the ground lead and the + power lead to the motor. Let's also put a 3.3V regulator across the power supply at the motor and power some logic from that, but the ground connection for that logic is connected to the other end of the wire. The regulator is producing a 3.3V output relative to the power at the motor, but there's a voltage drop across the wire. Relative to the power source, the output of the regulator is usually 3.3V, but may become 3.4V when the motor is drawing its maximum current. If there's a poor connection in the ground leads so it occasionally has a resistance of 1/20 Ohm, we can sometimes get a peak voltage drop in the ground lead of 0.5V. The motor won't notice that, but the logic will see a supply voltage of 3.8V, dangerously close to the point where damage can occur.

To prevent this sort of thing, you have to do what you've done, split the ground lines for the high current and low current devices and attach them together at a single point, usually where the power comes in. It sounds like you're doing the proper things, but you're still blowing chips. I would go over everything, compare how things are physically connected with what you think you have. Often there's a discrepancy and that's what's causing your problems.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-06-27 15:49
    Graham,

You mentioned a common ground for the controller and motors. This may or may not be the source of your trouble, but I would highly recommend separate ground leads, joined outside the box at their source. Any voltage transients due to motor currents in the common ground lead will be felt at the Propeller and could cause trouble.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-06-27 16:17
    @Mike - Thanks for the explaination of ground loops. I've made a post about a blown PLL before and you mentioned it, but I didn't quite understand. With that explaination, it makes sense. It's essentially a raised ground voltage due to a IR voltage drop through a conductor that has a little more resistance than you'd like.
    edited 2008-06-27 16:37
    The Propeller might also be susceptible to "ground bounce", especially if outputs are switching a lot of current. It's a commong problem with CMOS devices.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-27 18:45
    Thanks Mike that clears things up in my head nicely.

Something I didn't mention because I didn't want to confuse matters is that once the power enters the box it goes to a bridge rectifier, this acts to prevent reverse polarity problems with my non polarized plugs.

Everything is connected to the output of the rectifier, could this be a potential cause of the ground dropping with high current?

Graham
    edited 2008-06-27 19:09
    If everything really is connected together at the output of the rectifier, you should be ok. Often there is a path through the power supply if that's connected somehow to other grounds, even through the earth ground. You'll have to answer that.
    edited 2008-06-27 21:58
    Well I rewired from scratch yesterday and I even checked this afternoon things were as I planned them to be so yes everything branches from the rectifier outputs.

I did another little test this afternoon, I just kept an eye on the LCD screen when I powered up the stepper drives, there was a definate flash. I should be able to use this as an indicator on the effectiveness of changes to layout etc. At least if I can get rid of it I will feel more confident.

Graham
  • PropabilityPropability Posts: 142
    edited 2008-06-27 22:36
    Blew out my PLL on my 'Proto Hydra' in the final stages of getting the auto reset working. The prop still ran off the crystal but no way to get video. Installed a 80 MHz oscillator (3.3v type) and the video works now-didn't feel like desoldering either the chip or the connectors.
    1578 x 1579 - 600K
    001.JPG 599.9K
    edited 2008-06-30 15:04
    Well I replaced the prop chip on the protoboard (I have video of the process) and added a 2200uF capacitor across the rectifier because I suspected that the power supply I was using was not especially good and could not take the peak in load. All seems to work fine now, no reboot and not even a slight glitch on the LCD when the stepper motors are powered. It will need a few more days before I relax but I think it can at least go back in the box.

Cheers,

Graham
    edited 2008-06-30 16:29
    Well I tried the keyboard and it wasn't responding, I checked out the wiring again and it was fine it turns out my parallax keyboard is no longer working, I don't know if this is another victim of noise or another possible cause of the problem. A shame either way because it was neat.

Graham
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-30 16:42
    Graham: Do you have free-wheeling diodes in your stepper circuit? I think some kind of transient suppression is necessary when driving an switched inductive load due to the voltage spikes... I'm using a ULN2803 to do this...
    edited 2008-06-30 16:42
    It's more likely to be a transient that took them both out, or a shorted connection, than simply noise.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-30 18:08
    To Rayman, as per above posts they are commercial drives and do have diodes in the circuit else the driver would be toast. How does a Darlington array suppress transients if they (the transients) are on the power lines?

To Leon, I was meaning transient when I said noise my error.

Graham
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-30 20:14
    Graham: I think you said it fried when activating the steppers... The ULN2803 contains free-wheeling diode that prevent the voltage spikes that would otherwise occur. The voltage spikes happen when you attempt to stop the current flowing in a large inductance...
    edited 2008-06-30 20:17
    Nope, it happened when I flicked the power switch to the drives, the box has a main power switch and a stepper power switch. The drives also have opto-isolators on the inputs so my guess is that the ground got pulled low making the voltage across the prop greater than 4v.

Graham
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2008-07-02 06:46
    Your stepper drive indeed has opto-isolated inputs, but I don't think you understand the underlying circuit.

For some irritating reason, MANY stepper drives expect sinking outputs to drive their inputs. Glance at page 41 of that drive manual pdf. Is this the circuit you were expecting to see? Because if these "inputs" are connected directly to the propeller's output pins, they are going to want to pull them up to 5 Volts (5V flows quite easily through the 470 ohm resistor and the LED)!

However. The ULN2803 could be one of many answers, but the answer it provides is not due to the internal diode. The ULN2803 is going to PULL DOWN the drive's inputs, just like it needs to. Again, the +5V is going to the anode of the LED through a resistor, and you've got to go pull low (sink the current) if you want to turn it on. This is the non-thinking, it will definitely work, solution.

On page 45, The TTL interface (Figure 7.8) requires many things to go right, and to me it's abuse of a gate. Figure 7.7 is really what's happening. Then again, figure 7.7 doesn't show the base resistor, so even then it's not entirely correct, but whatever, it's close enough to the concept.

I'm still enraged from a week ago where I was chasing these "phantom grounds" people like to bring up, on a variable frequency drive. It turns out my program was correct (30 some odd machines were built the same way in years past), the drive parameters were correct, the wiring was correct, but there were two bad, new out of box motors with shorted windings.

It's the simple things sometimes, really.
    edited 2008-07-02 08:36
    I fully understand the circuit and there is nothing wrong with the outputs being pulled to 5v (I supply the 5v from the protoboard) as long as that 470ohm resistor is there, just read the interfacing with 5v sticky thread, the point is they are isolated from the motor switching.

Graham
  • Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-07-02 16:56
    whicker said...
    (5V flows quite easily through the 470 ohm resistor and the LED)!
    ·don't forget the forward voltage drop characteristic of the LED - this will help to limit the current