Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C object exchange — Parallax Forums

C object exchange

Keith DKeith D Posts: 15
edited 2008-06-27 18:38 in Propeller 1
Hi

I have recently started using the ImageCraft C compiler for the propeller (and it is great to use a compiler for a language I am used to!) but I finding code on the forum that is written in C is not very easy!

Is it possible for Parallax to start up a C file exchange (like the Object Exchange)?

Cheers
Keith

Comments

• Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-06-27 09:42
    It would be good to have the C stuff in the obex.

I think we have to thank jazzed for the tvText, TV_vga ,FdSerial and the SD code.

I would just say that tvText gets forgotten sometimes. Its a pain having to go through and change
    code to fit with in with tvText. I do have all of jazzed code up and running now but alas, I now have to wait for
    my licence Key. My fault I waited until the demo timed out on me [noparse]:([/noparse]

Ron
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-06-27 10:14
    Ron, we even have people contacting us on the field using mobile Internet because they need a license "yesterday." So don't feel bad. Anyway, check your email smile.gif
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-06-27 16:07
    We could start a yahoo group, source forge project, or some other repository means.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2008-06-27 16:40
    If Parallax hosted such a object exchange it would be easy to find, and it might add an air of positiveness and acceptance.

J
    edited 2008-06-27 17:22
    Yes, it would be good air. I think it is unlikely though ... among other "evidence" ... consider these points:

Part of Propeller product positioning and long term sales strategy may hinge more on the acceptance of the spin language as it was for the basic stamp interpreter as a solution. Both spin and C have advantages and disadvantages. Parallax invested in spin, not C. I really don't see why Parallax would actively promote a C solution other than as a check list item.

Also, there may easily be "copyright issues" by allowing C source to be hosted on their servers that would not come up with spin; lawyer education is not free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-27 17:51
    There is no reason why the current Object Exchange can't be used for programs written in C. Once there are more than a few such "objects", there would need to be additional categories so people don't find C routines when they're looking for Spin objects. There's no reason why people can't put dual language routines in the Exchange. The main issue is that the two are not really compatible and that the C compiler costs money to get while Spin is free. It's in Parallax's interest to promote C as well as Spin as long as they don't have to supply more than a minimum amount of resources to do so. The issues behind the required copyright notice have already been stated and would apply equally to C source as it would to Spin source.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-06-27 17:54
    There is absolutely nothing in the Propeller Object Exchange (expressed or implied) that would indicate ANY source code should or should not be there. There exists Spin and PASM source files, why on earth wouldn't C source file be there also?

It looks like the perfect place to me:

Propeller Object Exchange
    The spirit of learning and sharing.

The Propeller Object Exchange contains many source code objects for the Propeller microcontroller. They are created and submitted by Propeller customers as well as Parallax engineers for use by everyone in the community.

Submissions are always moderated, however, Parallax does not provide technical support for customer submissions. If you have a concern about an object, please contact the object's author directly or ask questions about it on the Propeller Discussion Forum.

Terms of Use:

All objects on the Propeller Object Exchange are provided under the MIT License. By downloading and/or submitting objects, you are agreeing to this license.

• Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-06-27 17:55
    Sorry, Mike - looks like we had similar feelings on this!
    edited 2008-06-27 18:28
    Ok Mike use your considerable goodwill and posting positioning and seek an opinion from Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-06-27 18:38
    We plan on using the obex for C libraries as well. However there are some changes that need to be made to the software to make it easy to filter via language. So we ask that no one posts C libraries to the obex until we say it's ok and set some guidelines for posting them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.