Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Faster PASM Multiplication? — Parallax Forums

Faster PASM Multiplication?

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-06-23 22:49 in Propeller 1
I'm learning PASM. I'm reading deSilva's guide and it goes over a simple multiplication routine. It seems as though all it's doing is recursion; adding a, b times. Isn't there a faster way of multiplying and dividing? It seems that a simple multiplication routine takes longer, the bigger the numbers...

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-06-23 03:07
    Good question... Stuff on multiplication algorithms to confuse you here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-23 04:15
    Look at Graham Stabler's Good Thread Index in the "sticky" threads at the start of the Propeller forum thread list. There's an entry for "Propeller Guts". This has PASM routines in it for multiplication, division, and square root.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-06-23 16:48
    For processors which do not have a multiply or divide instruction, it requires an iterative conditional·addition (multiply) or subtraction (divide).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-06-23 21:45
    Paul, I know what I'm about to say isn't exactly efficient for small integers, but maybe for larger ones...

What I had in mind, was a combo of shifting and adding(for multiplication). Let's say you had 3 * 9. What you could do is 3<<3(3*2*2*2), then add one more three. Granted, it would take some clock cycles to determine how many x2's you'd have to do, but for large numbers, it seems the overhead would be worth it.

Another example, 6*45 = 6*32 + 6*8 + 6*4 + 6 = 6<<5 + 6<<3 + 6<<2 + 6... My thinking is that if you can use a few extra clock cycles to figure out how many shifts you need to do, you might make those cycles up when you don't have to use iteration.
  • lonesocklonesock Posts: 917
    edited 2008-06-23 21:58
    The multiplication loop is pretty tight, 3 instructions inside the loop (including the jump), and 16 iterations, 1 per bit of the input. The code uses a very clever optimization of packing the multiplicand and the product into the same 32-bit integer, so that a single bit shift takes care of both getting the next bit out of y and aligning the x value to be summed into the remaining bits of y.

I'm certainly not saying that there isn't a faster way, but I haven't seen it. One possibility is instead of actually doing 16 full iterations, stopping as soon as there are no more 1 bits left in y. This would require a final shift instruction to align the result, but would be much faster for multiplying small numbers (i.e. with < 16 bits of input) as it could end early. The trick is finding a way to short-circuit the loop without taking more than 3 instructions, as your worst case scenario would be much worse. For example, I could do this in 4 instructions, yielding a wort case scenario of 33% slower than the current way. I have not found a way to do this in only 3 instructions yet, of course [noparse][[/noparse]8^)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lonesock
    Piranha are people too.

Post Edited (lonesock) : 6/23/2008 10:08:29 PM GMT
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-06-23 22:01
    The standard algorithm is shift-add:

int mul(int op1, int op2)
    {
    int res = 0;
    while (op1)
    {
    if ((op1 & 1) != 0)
    res += op2;
    op2 <<= 1;
    op1 >>= 1;
    }
    return res;
    }

For constant multiplication, a compiler may generate the shift-add/sub sequence in line, as you can shift by multiple bits if there is a sequence of zeroes.

// richard
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-06-23 22:20
    Philldapill, et al.:

I've been greatly amused by the miscommunication in this thread. The "inefficient algorthm" that Philldapill started off the thread wondering about was a*b = a+a+...+a+a (i.e. a added to itself b times) — clearly suboptimal and not the method anyone in their right mind would use. Of course, the algorithm that everyone uses and is mentioned multiple times in this thread, and which Philldapill "rediscovered" in his second post, is the venerable shift-and-add routine. I think everyone is on the same page here, but I'm not so sure everyone knows that. smile.gif

-Phil
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-06-23 22:29
    LOL Thanks Phil. I just realized it after reading the posts above yours. It's funny how that works sometimes in the forum. Some of us will accumulate an entire page of back-and-forth posting, yet saying the same thing.
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-06-23 22:49
    We may be saying the same thing, but we are saying it differently smile.gif