Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Solar Panel charging battery circuit — Parallax Forums

Solar Panel charging battery circuit

Technic-R-CTechnic-R-C Posts: 117
edited 2008-06-23 03:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hello

I have a question in regards to solar panels.· I am currently making a robot that has a solar panel built onto it.· These panels would theoretically charge up the onboard battery which supplies power to the DC motors and other applications.· Does anyone know of a circuit for this kind of design.· I am thinking to connect the solar panel to a capacitor and once the capacitor is charged it would release the power to the battery which would then charge it.· Does this make sense or is there another solution to this problem.

Thanks

Technic-R-C

Post Edited (Technic-R-C) : 6/22/2008 11:23:55 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-06-22 23:49
    Try a Google for "solar battery charger circuit" that should get you started.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Technic-R-CTechnic-R-C Posts: 117
    edited 2008-06-23 01:28
    Thanks Franklin, I found a circuit online would this work.

schematic003.gif

If I had a small solar panel cell and a 9.6 volt NiCd battery what diode and resistor should I use?· (still new to electronics)· I know that the resistor limits the amount of power coming from the solar cell and the diode prevents the battery power from flowing back into the cell when there is no light...

Technic-R-C

Post Edited (Technic-R-C) : 6/23/2008 1:35:03 AM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-06-23 03:04
    The resistor should be sized to limit the current to 1/10 the capacity of the battery pack. a 2400ma/h pack should be limited to 240ma charge rate. You may also need to add something to stop the charge when the batteries reach maximum with nicads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen