Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nokia 6100 LCDs — Parallax Forums

Nokia 6100 LCDs

WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
edited 2008-06-24 05:25 in Propeller 1
Hey everyone. I've got a Nokia 6100 LCD from Sparkfun with the carrier board. I've been working at it all day now, and all I can get is to do it turn all pixels on, or turn all pixels off.
I know some others here have worked with this thing, but it looks like the code they've written is for the Epson controller, and I've got the Phillips. I found a .spin file where someone tried to convert the Epson driver to the Phillips LCD, but it only partially works for me ( I can initialize the LCD [noparse][[/noparse]I think]).

I would love to hear from anyone who has anything on using this with the propeller.

Thanks, Justin

Post Edited (Whelzorn) : 6/22/2008 7:06:44 PM GMT

Comments

• StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-06-22 19:14
    Hello Justin,

by googling i found this tutorial

www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/Nokia%206100%20LCD%20Display%20Driver.pdf

it contents sourccode in C

If you're half way familiar with c i think you can port the bitbanging to spin

best regards

Stefan
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2008-06-22 20:20
    Aah thanks. That got me what I needed to actually plot pixels. I'm still having a problem though when I try to issue the color data to a pixel.
    All I seem to be getting are shades of blue. If I send the pixel a $00 for color data, it's a slighly darker blue, and if I send a $FF, it's a little brighter. I thought the color data gave you the 256 color range?

Edit: Ok, it looks like you need to set Invert mode to ON in order to get the colors working at all. I don't know why. It works fine now though!

Thanks again!

Post Edited (Whelzorn) : 6/22/2008 9:02:07 PM GMT
    edited 2008-06-23 04:23
    Well I'm not out of the woods yet. After a bit of tinkering, I noticed how horribly slow the SPIN SPI driver was. I tried to just use the ASM version, but it doesn't work. Then I found this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=634700 confirming that it doesn't work, and hadn't before either.

Did anyone ever figure this out?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-23 09:49
    I've got some code for that display here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/RaysStuff/Nokia/SparkfunNokia.htm

I also have a bitmap tool and code in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=720803
    edited 2008-06-23 16:41
    Oh wow, nice bitmap tool. Although it looks like your display uses the Epson driver. Do you know if there's some trick to using the Phillips LCD with the ASM SPI driver? (in the epson you issued a delay before starting to send commands or data). If I simply swap out the SPIN driver with the ASM one, it just sits there with a blue screen. I managed to get some noise on the screen by using the SPIN dribver for sending commands and the ASM one for sending data, but still not right.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-23 17:41
    Oops. Sorry, I didn't see you had the Phillips controller... I don't know anything about that one...
    edited 2008-06-24 05:25
    alright, thanks anyway.
    I simply cannot understand why the spin SPI is any different at all from the ASM SPI, apart from speed (and to test that, I turned the PLL down). Are there any other SPI drivers I could try?