Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propclip dry joints — Parallax Forums

Propclip dry joints

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-06-21 16:34 in Propeller 1
So I've just finished programming up some boards and I'm cleaning up my leads and I think to myself "Gee I've only got one propclip, I'd better order another as I'd be stuffed if this one broke".. and literally as that thought crossed my mind the bloody thing fell to pieces in my fingers.

On closer investigation the solder joints holding the USB connector on were all as dry as a dead dingoes donger.. There was not even a trace of solder wetting on any of the tabs holding the USB connector to the board.

A quick rework with the solder-wick and some good old leaded solder and its as good as new.. but none the less, keep an eye on your connectors!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pull my finger!
1152 x 536 - 505K

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-06-21 16:31
    Thanks.. Checking mine..

I thought your descriptive phrase was a just colorful prose until I actually Googled it.
    I must be bored to do that, time to go play on the Prop! tongue.gif

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange
  • JWoodJWood Posts: 56
    edited 2008-06-21 16:34
    I had this similar thing happen to me. The entire USB jack didn't fall off just·came loose. Took a little trouble shooting to figure out why I couldn't write to the Propeller any more. It wasn't hard to solder it back together.
    This is something to think about of a user is having issues writing to there Propeller.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔