Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propellant and other OS's — Parallax Forums

Propellant and other OS's

stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
edited 2008-06-24 21:27 in Propeller 1
Is it possible to package propellant into an executable (preferably single file) for other platforms (macs in particular) using wine or do you need to have the full version of wine running? Would it be easier with the dll?

I know that codeweavers is advertising this kind of thing but can it be done with the free version?

Comments

• Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2008-06-21 10:16
    Full version of Wine will be needed. The DLL won't make things any easier, If you want to use a DLL with a program using winelib, the host application must be a wine program, ie. if you make a shared-object wrapper around the DLL using wine, the program that links to the SO needs to be a wine app, since the process must have wine's special virtual memory layout.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-06-21 11:16
    Ok. It just sounded like a good idea [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-06-21 12:01
    I know... I tried it, that's how I know : /
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-06-21 15:27
    Funny you should mention this. It's something I'm playing with in my spare time as I'd like to see it run on Linux/BSD/MacOS Intel & PPC (I'm playing with userspace QEMU to try and run it on MacOS PPC).

I've asked Parallax for a bit of assistance on how they detect the serial ports so I can have a play with adding support to wine..
    If I get bored enough I might try and figure it out watching the Win API traces.. but other things have a higher priority at the moment..

Frankly if we can get the Propellent running sufficiently well under WINE, there is only another 2 bugs preventing the IDE from working properly also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-06-21 15:36
    Propellent compiles SPIN just fine with wine, it just can't program the propeller. There is a loader written in Python (not sure where though) which could be used in a shell script with wine Propellent.exe to make programming propeller simple.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-06-21 16:29
    The IDE compiles SPIN just fine with WINE.. (with a couple of minor niggles).. but wouldn't it be so much easier if the comms to the propeller worked, rather than trying to duct tape together a solution that is not made to fit?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • KeezinatorKeezinator Posts: 21
    edited 2008-06-24 21:27
    I am using Ubuntu and I was also having trouble running the propeller IDE under wine because it gave errors traversing the library trees and unreadable fonts in the dialog box. i did not even get to trying to program the propeller.

VirtualBox is not an option since I am running on an old slow, small memory laptop, so running XP in a virtualbox just kills it.

Anyone any other low cost (or rather non cost) ideas? I would just hate to have to return to XP, with all the virusses, trojans and what not...