Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
more rookie questions about shift registers and LEDs (more ways to skin a cat & — Parallax Forums

more rookie questions about shift registers and LEDs (more ways to skin a cat &

Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
edited 2008-06-17 00:23 in Propeller 1
I am learning to use 74HC595's and RGB LED's.
(favorite explanations:
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/BS2Appnotesv1_9.pdf··· superior! explains 595's from the logic diagrams and up
http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/exp/sw23b.pdf·········· good for cascading)

So my questions are:

1) Can I power 595's with the appropriate voltage to skip using LED resistors?
I am thinking a simple pair of resistors could adjust the voltage to suit. Mostly the Red LED which needs to be fed about 2 volts. Green and Blue work fine on 3.3v.

2) Or am I missing the point about the resistors? To wit,·LEDs need them to limit current, not voltage.

3) Or·can·I·just use PWM to manage the current?

4) Where is DeSilva when you need him? (I miss his grumpy help)

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-16 15:33
    1) No
    2) Yes, LEDs need them to limit current
    3) No
    4) ???

Once the LED forward voltage threshold is exceeded, it will conduct as much current as is available
    until the heat produced destroys something. Even with PWM, you need some kind of current limiting
    because there are peak current and thermal effects that can damage or destroy the device.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 6/16/2008 3:46:23 PM GMT
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-16 16:58
    Thanks Mike.

1) Alas.
    2) Eventually I will learn this stuff.
    3) More alas, maybe. Why complicate one's life?
    4) Haven't heard from him since a month after his leaving post. (deSilva, say hi now and then)

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 6/16/2008 8:39:33 PM GMT
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-06-17 00:23
    Fred -

There are shift registers designed specifically for LED control, do you know about them? The one I like to use is the TLC5940 by Texas Instruments. The chip has 16 outputs and each output is 12-bit of control of the intensity of the LED. I used this chip to design the LED hardware for a couple LED mood lighting applications. This chip may be a little too fancy depending on your application. There are chips that at easier to interface too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- uOLED-IOC, RGB LEDs, TLC5940 driver PCB
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode