Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I could use a little help designing this... — Parallax Forums

I could use a little help designing this...

Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
edited 2008-06-14 22:47 in Propeller 1
Ok, I am not the worst at circuit design, but I am definitely not the best [noparse]:)[/noparse] That said, would anyone be willing to help me with laying this out, I was inspired for the idea by the below linked site, it allows for galvanic isolation of the 1 wire bus at the same time giving us the opportunity to do voltage translation from 3.3v to 5v. I would on top of the isolation of master to slave I would like to use this design to be able to deliver slave to slave isolation by bringing the master signal to 8 to 16 isolation points that will transmit to the slaves.

The site I got the idea from, all credit for this circuit goes to : Rudolph

http://home.hetnet.nl/~thomas_7/1Wire/1wire_isolating.html

So the highlights of what I am trying to do:
Isolation of master to slave and slave to slave providing a 1 to 8 or 1 to 16 distribution
Voltage translation of 3.3v to 5v
Longer lengths of a link in total by providing separation of slaves

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the slaves will/would be using parasitic power

Post Edited (Jimmy W.) : 6/14/2008 9:12:23 PM GMT
347 x 304 - 12K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-06-14 21:58
    Since the slaves are using parasitic power, that means the power has to come from the data lines. This means it all must come from the central distribution point, right? And that means eight to 16 separate, isolated power supplies. Just so I understand why you'd go to such lengths, what exactly is the reason for the galvanic isolation?

-Phil
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-06-14 22:47
    Actually I was looking at using 1:1 transformers to supply power to each of the parasitic power inputs with a a circuit I found to eliminate possible backfeed (up to 1kv) some of the OW devices will be controlling relays which will in turn be controlling up to 600v ac @ 60hz, thats what scare me, if that were to get back on the line, it could fry the AMX ($4000), Lutron($2800) and Control4($700) controllers, as well as the security system(cheap) that is also connected to the prop, this also gives me the ability to run the lengths of cables that I need to each run, 100-150m, If I were to run 8 * 100m the system would fail without this.

Jimmy