Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ANN: ImageCraft V7.00 for Propeller Released — Parallax Forums

ANN: ImageCraft V7.00 for Propeller Released

ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
edited 2008-06-26 11:30 in Propeller 1
All known bug have been fixed, I even added a "Pulse DTR" button to the terminal window since people seem to welcome it in the Propeller Serial Terminal thread. Anyway, the web page is being worked on, but you can jumpstart by

- downloading the demo here: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/iccv7prop_demo.exe
- the readme file is here: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/readmeProp.txt
- the online HTML doc is here: http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/help/iccprop/wwhelp.htm

Please feel free to send comments or questions to me.

// richard

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-14 01:53
    This is a welcome addition! I'm glad you got it done. I think I'll have to get a copy, now that Jazzed has ported over a VGA driver... I've seen a few interesting C programs for other microcontrollers that would be easy to put on the Prop with this...

Any word on when floating-point will be added?
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-06-14 02:12
    Rayman said...
    This is a welcome addition! I'm glad you got it done. I think I'll have to get a copy, now that Jazzed has ported over a VGA driver... I've seen a few interesting C programs for other microcontrollers that would be easy to put on the Prop with this...

Any word on when floating-point will be added?

Well, we need to take a short break smile.gif but it shouldn't be hard at all. The front end compiler architecture already supports FP so "all" we have to do to support 32 bit FP is to add some code patterns in the code generator. There's not a whole lot of work there as 32 bits FP is the same size as the long which Propeller can support natively. Then we need to write the low level FP math code (+-*/ etc.) which we *may* end up leveraging some existing work on the FP object. No date yet, but the hardwork has been done.

// richard
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-06-16 22:51
    I updated the Annoucement sticky to show the C compiler is now availible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-17 12:27
    I'm very close to ordering a copy...

One question: Is there a maintanence period or some other guarantee that updates will be free for some period of time?

I looked on the website, but didn't see anything about a free update period...
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-06-17 12:43
    Rayman raises a good point, what is the support policy?

Sorry to say, some years ago we purchased your C compiler for the HC11 and the license disk that came with it was corrupted every way to sunset and no amount of emails or faxes to get this disk replaced was ever replied.

Just a thought.
    edited 2008-06-17 19:43
    Praxis: I am sorry about your experience. My only suggestion, seriously, is that your mail was spamtrapped.

[noparse][[/noparse] //EDITED: I hope I don't sound like "passing the buck." I know we have an unsatisfied customer now and then, but really we would not ignore requests like this. Most of the HC11 compiler sales were before 2000. The company address changed in 1998 and we have our share of moving our email server and ISP, so may be you were just hitting one of those periods. If you email me with your name and company name, I will look it up in our records. ]

One thing I know full well is that it takes at least 10, 20, or 100 good customer experience to counteract the bad image that a single bad customer experience may generate, so we always try to respond to customer's questions as soon as possible. To this date, while I have other people doing most of the development, I still do all the customer support. Some times it backfires a little as we developers may get too close to the products, but generally speaking, engineers love it when they speak to someone who knows the products, and not some call center technicians.

The policy is that license purchase comes with 6 months of support, after that, it's $50 a year. However, it's voluntary and a honor system. I have never refused just because of lack of up to date maintenance.

I invite people with doubts visit, say, our icc-avr mailing list. AVR is our biggest seller and just ask "How has ImageCraft support been?" and I am sure you will find lots of positive responses.

And to update - you download the latest demo and install. Simple as that. We have not so far tie the maintenance to upgrades - heck, just the other day, I gave a upgrade key to someone who was still using his 2000 version of the AVR compiler! This policy may change later but rest assure that even if we implement some kind of policy, the initial 6 months or initial 12 month will be free upgrades.

// richard

Post Edited (ImageCraft) : 6/17/2008 9:26:25 PM GMT
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-06-18 08:08
    Hi Richard,

I can't recall the year but the company was Ceanet Advanced Technologies.

Azlan

P.S. Sorry for off topic.
  • Robot FreakRobot Freak Posts: 168
    edited 2008-06-18 09:03
    I get the following message: "Your temporary key has expired. If you believe this message is in error, please contact the program's author."
    After clicking "OK" nothing appears, no limited version!
    edited 2008-06-18 19:34
    Robot Freak said...
    I get the following message: "Your temporary key has expired. If you believe this message is in error, please contact the program's author."
    After clicking "OK" nothing appears, no limited version!

Email me at richard at imagecraft.com and I will sort it out. You may have installed a previous beta that may be affecting this.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-18 19:55
    One thing I've found which explains some confusion I've been having, installing the latest iccv7prop_demo.exe it chose to put itself in "C:\Program Files" which would have been fine were I not on a multi-boot system where it should have been "F:\Program Files".

True, it did ask where I wanted to install to ( having re-installed ) but I didn't even look, just clicked Next because every other installation I've ever done has got it right.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-06-18 19:58
    I was very lost for about 10 minutes after installing RC1 since I could not find new code in my previous installation location [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-18 20:19
    The Parallax folks suggested that I changed the default to \program files. I will check whether our installation program supports [noparse][[/noparse]boot drive]:\program files.

When I asked our customers a couple years ago, most people said stick with c:\iccv7XXX\ but I do notice that some customers do change it to \program files\iccv7XXX already by themselves. My personal opinion is that "\program files" is a horrid default. People who use command lines hate the space, and we have a good number of customers who are using command lines. It's a little bit like deciding who to penalize and what images we want to project.
    edited 2008-06-18 21:21
    On the subject of command lines ... what's the rationale for not allowing command line compilation unless it's a registered compiler ?

I still cannot get the IDE to run under 98 ( hangs the system while launching, needs reset-button re-boot ) and the command line compiler no longer works.
    edited 2008-06-18 23:07
    hippy said...
    On the subject of command lines ... what's the rationale for not allowing command line compilation unless it's a registered compiler ?

I still cannot get the IDE to run under 98 ( hangs the system while launching, needs reset-button re-boot ) and the command line compiler no longer works.

Our philosophy is to allow customers to upgrade to the latest by downloading the latest demo. With that decision, it drives some of the code protection methods we need to use to have that work, and simply, having the command line compilers to work without registering is just a bigger security hole.

I suspect your problems with W98 may have to do with the Propellent DLL. Our IDE itself should run fine. I know we have W98 customers... I suppose what I can do is to check the OS, and if it's "lower" than W2K, I would not load the Propellent library. Can you send me an email? I don't have W98 and won't be able to test.

Thanks.
    edited 2008-06-19 00:14
    Propellent.dll itself is absolutely fine on Windows 98, in fact I am quite happy that Parallax is opening up the route to command line tools on Windows 98. I don't particularly want to run the IDE so I'm not that interested in expending effort to resolve the problem with more interesting things taking priority.
    edited 2008-06-24 23:25
    Non-commercial use license pricing is now active on our website. Enjoy smile.gif
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-06-25 01:04
    I look forward to using this soon, however I am just getting the hang of SPIN and so it must wait for a few. I ask this though. Is it much like the DEV C compiler? ?Just curious. I am more of a computer programmer, so the question reguarding the only C platform that i am familiar with.
    edited 2008-06-25 06:35
    Bwahahahaha, not sure what you meant by is it much like the (DEC?) C compiler, but I workjed at DEC, once upon a time. I worked on the GEM code generator project so we supported Alpha, MIPS and I help wrote the first x86 codegen there. I remember when we released the Alpha at 200 MHz, it was just totally amazing because Pentium was at 60 Mhz then... Then I went to work for HP and it was a game a leapfrogging... Ah, those were the days. Now we have 80Mhz Propeller vs...?

Anyway, may be to answer your questions more directly instead of going off to a tangent, the compiler demo is fully functional for 45 days, so really the best way to try it is to try it. It has a simple to use IDE. Try it, you may like it.
  • Keith DKeith D Posts: 15
    edited 2008-06-25 09:05
    ImageCraft said...
    Non-commercial use license pricing is now active on our website. Enjoy

Gutted - and I have only just bought the full price version, and doubt I will ever release anything... sad.gif
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-06-25 09:17
    Keith D said...
    Gutted - and I have only just bought the full price version, and doubt I will ever release anything... sad

What a bummer!

Richard seems like a decent chap, why not ask for a partial refund?

@Richard

I applaud you for your efforts with this compiler, I myself do not know the C language but it is one of those things that I have been meaning to do for some time now.
    I may just take the plunge now and learn it on my favourite micro.

What is your policy regarding upgrades, I notice on your web shop that you have an annual maintennace price, is this the only way to keep up to date?

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
    edited 2008-06-25 19:32
    Keith, send me an email. I will work something out. Thanks.
  • STST Posts: 13
    edited 2008-06-26 00:24
    Pardon the interruption - but I'm a bit confused.

On the Imagecraft.com website the non-commercial product says:
    NOTE: We are providing the non-commercial use license as an incentive for hobbyists and students to try our tools. On purchasing a non-commercial license, you agree that you will not use the product for any commercial uses, including but not limited to product development and prototyping for potential products. Please do not abuse our trust.
    ***No mention of size limit

But on Parallax website the non-commercial product says:
    Non-Commerical: ANSI C compiler for Propeller LMM code generation. IDE with editor, project manager and code browser. Supports programs as large as 16K.

Does this mean there is a limit to the maximum size programs one can create using the Non-Commercial version to only half of what the propeller is really capable of (32K)?

Thanks to anyone that can help me understand this.....I'm very much new to Propeller, but am intrigued about the potential of using C also.....

Sam
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-06-26 01:35
    In a Email from Richard last night, there is no Memory Limits with the Non-Comercial version

Inline asm is available within the constraints of the LMM kernal.

FP may not be made available in the Non-commercial version.

Ron
    edited 2008-06-26 01:47
    Ron Sutcliffe said...
    (FP may not be made available in the Non-commercial version.)
    Is this true????
    No FLOATING POINT - ever!!!!! that could be a deal breaker....

Thanks Ron.

Post Edited (ST) : 6/26/2008 2:24:27 AM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-26 01:53
    FIXED POINT? There's no built-in FIXED POINT arithmetic in C anyway. Floating point maybe, but not FIXED POINT.
    edited 2008-06-26 02:09
    OK, Ron, I must apologize!!!! On looking through the email trail, it is true that when I discussed with Parallax a few months ago on non-commercial pricing, that it will be a 8K/16K limited version. When I was working on it last week, I totally forgot about that conversation. The sad economic fact is that is to make a living, A LOT of the $99 compilers have to be sold. Jumping into the Propeller bandwagon is definitely a two edged sword - we could be hitting a home run, or we could be just wasting a lot of development and marketing effort. We will have to see which way the wind blows, but honestly speaking, may be it's just my novocaine-filled brain, but I am less optimistic than I was.

I will pull the NC version off the website for now, and review the decision .
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-26 02:34
    It should be pretty straightforward to translate the assembly floating point from the Object Exchange for ImageCraft's assembler. You wouldn't have built-in floating point operators, but it would be just as fast and you can use macros to help do the interfacing.

The 16K limit is not as odious as it seems, particularly if you use VGA text and other I/O drivers that need good sized buffers since the VGA buffer and other I/O buffers would come out of "the other 16K". You could even do dynamic memory allocation and devote the 16K to the memory pool.
    edited 2008-06-26 02:52
    Opps - I meant "Floating Point" in my previous post. (I've edited it).

As for the 16K limit - speaking about my own poor coding skills (I'm a hobbyist) - my programs tend to be a lot larger than that of a professional Software Engineer would probably write.

I'm still very much interested in the C-compiler, but it looks as if I would have to spring for the more costly Standard version primarily because of my own sloppy coding style.
    edited 2008-06-26 03:05
    @ ImageCraft : I think it would be a good idea to clarify exactly what each version of the compiler offers on the web page. From reading the web page and discussion in this thread there do seem to be a few anomalies / potential misinterpretations. My interpretation of what's on offer from what I've read here and on the web site ...

( Updated to reflect later posts )

Demo Version
    Free
    Unrestricted for 45 days, commercial use allowed for 45 days
    Code limited to 4KB after 45 days, non-commercial use only after 45 days
    Floating point supported ( when implemented )
    No command line compiler
    Printed manual plus CD not available for purchase
    Upgrades by downloading latest demo version
    Annual Maintenance Contract not available

Non-Commercial Version
    $99
    Non-commercial use only
    Code limited to 16KB
    No Floating point support
    No command line compiler
    Printed manual plus CD available at $26
    Upgrades free for 6 months
    Annual Maintenance Contract available at $50
    Upgrade to Standard Compiler at $150
    Hardware 'license dongle' not available

Standard Version
    $249
    Unrestricted, commercial use allowed
    No code limits, up to Propeller Ram size
    Floating point supported ( when implemented )
    Command line compiler
    Printed manual plus CD available at $26
    Upgrades free for 6 months
    Annual Maintenance Contract available at $50
    Hardware 'license dongle' at $60

Post Edited (hippy) : 6/26/2008 12:39:54 PM GMT
    edited 2008-06-26 11:30
    I have added some clarifications to the webpage. The NC version is a) 16K byte code limited, b) no command line, c) no dongle, and d) no (future) floating point support. One may upgrade to the STD version for the difference in price and one may purchase the manual if they wish.

As for maintenance, it's free for the first 6 months, but so far we have not restricted upgrades or support for anyone. At some point, we may institute an upgrade policy that limits the latest upgrade if a customer has a current maintenance agreement, but that's in the future.