Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Headmounted display, maybe a propeller project? — Parallax Forums

Headmounted display, maybe a propeller project?

Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
edited 2008-06-14 01:48 in Propeller 1
So I was surfing around the web with no particular intentions.· I crossed the HeadPlay·system website and saw the HeadPlay Personal Cinema.··The HeadPlay·is a visor (head mounted) video playback viewer.· I have seen other products like this around on the web or in the gadgets stores of the airport, but this one seems to offer a plethora of inputs.· I am not sure about the other version out there, but I like that there is the seperate device·to plug in all the inputs and outputs instead of funky dongle or limited connection options.· I believe·the seperate device·is·called the liberator.· I could see a Propeller Demo board mounted on top of the liberator.

The HeadPlay system or similar products offer a neat option for a head mounted display.· In the past there were posts that used Hitt's video overlay with the Propeller robot to create a POV with data.· Anyone configure this for a headmounted display yet?· How about adding the accelerometer for control?· This particular device looks to have a composite input as well as a VGA input.· Maybe some Hydra games would do well with this.

A while ago I almost bought a unit.· I live in Hong Kong and I attended one of the many electronics trade shows and found a company in HK that offers something similar.· They have an impressive product line too as far as look and feel and picture, but the device had limited input options and you bought the model based on the input.· If you want VGA input, you buy the VGA model and that is all you can input.

At the moment I don't have the funds to purchase one of these, but you can bet that I will put the idea on my list.· A DIY drone with a headmounted control....oh yeay!

Anyone else have this or something similar?

Link to HeadPlay website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- uOLED-IOC, RGB LEDs, TLC5940 driver PCB
www.tdswieter.com
One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-13 16:17
    If you search for ipod video glasses on ebay you can usually find things like this pretty cheaply, usually they have video in rather than VGA. I wonder if they have two screens or just one and some optics.

Graham
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-13 16:58
    Timothy D. Swieter said...
    Anyone else have this or something similar?

Link to HeadPlay website.

Oldbitcollector played with a spycar: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=704260

·
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-13 19:03
    I've got this one a year or 2 ago:

http://www.3dvisor.com/products.php

It's 800x600xRGB in both eyes and can be USB powered.· Very nice.· Was only ~$1000 when I got it, but it's $1500 now.

800x600 is really the minimum I would recommend...· There are all kinds of cheap 640x480 ones out there.· That might be OK for regular def. TV.· But, for DVD or 3D gaming, you really want at least 800x600.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-06-14 00:37
    Wow Rayman, that does look like a neat display. The cost though is out of this world! I agree with the high resolution comment though. The higher the resolution the better. The pixel size also matters when the screen is that close. Rayman, have you hook up your visor to the Propeller for video generation? Any ideas for making an interactive project using it?

I remember seeing devices like these years ago. You see more brands and styles today, but they don't seem to have really hit the mainstream, why do you think this is? I guess though there must be some market opportunity since more companies are getting in the business of doing this. I am sure the IPOD popularity is fueling sales.

I was thinking more about this as I was falling asleep and I was thinking a virtual game of some sort for the hydra with this type of visor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- uOLED-IOC, RGB LEDs, TLC5940 driver PCB
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-14 01:48
    I've tried to get it to work with the Prop, but gave up... It wants 800x600 at 60Hz, but I haven't been able to make the Prop do that yet...

It kinda works with the Prop at 1024x768 at 60Hz in the sense that it shows the upper-left part of the screen. I suppose it could be used that way...