Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COM problems help please — Parallax Forums

COM problems help please

grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
edited 2008-06-13 19:56 in Propeller 1
I am having problems communicating with my custom propeller circuit. I used the same circuit that is on the DEMO board. Yet every time I disconnect the USB cable then reconnect I must toggle the power in order to regain communications.

I wish to have the ability to connect and disconnect the USB cable with out toggling the power is this possiable? If so please show me the light. I was considering keeping the reset pin high?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-13 14:53
    The actual Demo Board can do this (connect and disconnect the USB cable without cycling power). There must be something different about your Propeller setup. How about constructing a schematic from your circuit and posting it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-06-13 17:30
    I've just tried it with one of my boards and a Proto board - disconnecting the USB cable from the Prop Plug and reconnecting it doesn't require the power to be cycled. The program is actually transmitting serial data to the PC via the Prop Plug; the transmission continues after the plug is replaced.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-06-13 18:07
    Well the schematic is on my home PC and as i set here i see that while I am comunicating to the PC the COM is lost when i disconnect it.
    perhaps it is the code

Take a look here

con
    space = $20
    baud  = 19200

var

long  RxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 18 ]           
      byte  StringCount

obj

Ser             : "FullDuplexSerial"

Pub  main

ser.start(31,30,0,baud)
      getcom

Pub getcom 
    REPEAT

StringCount := 0
      repeat until (RxDat [noparse][[/noparse] StringCount ]  := SER.rx ) == "|"
          StringCount ++

IF (rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 0 ] == "|")&(rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 1 ] == $54)&(rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 2 ] == $31)* (rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 3 ] == SPACE)

IF (rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 4 ] ==$49)&(rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 5 ] == $44)&(rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 7 ] == $3F)    
                              SER.STR(STRING("| TEST 1 |")) 

IF (rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 4 ] == $41)&(rxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 5 ] == $32 )&(RxDat [noparse][[/noparse] 7 ] == $3F)
                               SER.STR(STRING("| TEST 2 |")) 

I would not think it is the code but let me know what you think.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-06-13 19:06
    The software you are using on the PC might be causing the problem. Try PST.exe on the Propeller downloads page. I've had problems with other terminal programs losing the connection.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-06-13 19:56
    Thanks but I tried that program and no luck. Perhaps it is a driver issue. Ill post the schematic tonight when i get home and maybee some one will see something that is causing the problem.

Thanks so far people