Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the Demo board to program other propellers — Parallax Forums

Using the Demo board to program other propellers

David E.David E. Posts: 13
edited 2008-06-12 03:38 in Propeller 1
Is this possible?

I would like to be able to program the 40-pin dip I have for a mobile prototype but the entire demo board won't fit (I know I know the DIP is almost as big as the demo board).

I do not have a prop plug or prop clip.

Is it possible to program an external EEPROM instead of the one built in to the demo board?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-12 02:49
    It's possible, but not the way you think. You can't just substitute an external EEPROM unless you're willing and able to perform surgery on the Demo Board. What you can do is to write a program for the Demo Board that copies the boot EEPROM to a secondary EEPROM connected to a pair of I/O pins on the Demo Board. You'd use the Propeller Tool to download this program to the Demo Board's boot EEPROM, then download a copy program to the Demo Board's RAM where it will execute and copy the boot EEPROM to the one attached to, say, I/O pins 0/1. You could actually use FemtoBasic to do this using its COPY command or you could write your own using any of the I2C routines in the Object Exchange.
  • David E.David E. Posts: 13
    edited 2008-06-12 02:57
    Ah, thank you very much that makes perfect sense.

If I am copying the demo boards 32kb EEPROM over to a 128KB eeprom I shouldn't have any problems, assuming similar page sizes?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-12 03:38
    No problem. The page size only affects the EEPROM being written.