Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
em-408 GPS prop interface — Parallax Forums

em-408 GPS prop interface

s2jesses2jesse Posts: 62
edited 2008-06-11 19:48 in Propeller 1
I have a em-408 from spark fun im trying to interface with the prop....

I first tried it alone hooked up to the prop using GPS VGA object from the obex...

i got nothing...

To test the gps i made a 3232 based circiut and tested it on the computer it works fine...

Im just reading the gps not writing to it...

has anyone used a 406 or 408 gps unit with the prop and GPS to vga object?

Thanks
Jesse

Comments

• Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-06-11 02:25
    This may be too complex an example to help you, and it is a work in progress, so it is not polished code, but if you look at the GPS objects the may help you. The GPS_IO_FULL object is a modified version of Perry's object.

You should also do a search for gps using search.parallax.com/. there is a lot of good information out there.
  • s2jesses2jesse Posts: 62
    edited 2008-06-11 05:10
    I·guess my first simple question is does anyone know if the 406, 408 direclty work off the shelf with the gps vga object in the obex? i properly chose my rx pin etc...

hardware wise i just have vss and vdd properly hooked up i have the enable pin on the gps high.... and i have the rx on the gps set high with a 3.3k resistor between it.. tx hooked up to my rx prop pin.

Ill start digging into the behind the scenes next· but it would just be nice to get the·premade object visually working so i know my hardware etc is ok. will make it easier to learn [noparse]:)[/noparse] the details.

Btw thanks for the sample spin ill dig in soon looks like some other fun stuff in there too.

Jesse
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2008-06-11 11:23
    I use one of those GPS (406,408) but with 1K ohm between tx and prop, as per Terry Hitt's OSD

also the connector has several grounds, they must all be connected

Perry
  • s2jesses2jesse Posts: 62
    edited 2008-06-11 19:48
    Im guessing terry hitts osd has a 1k because its compat with the 5v parallax gps... the 408 is a 3.3 volt unit... ·as for grounds i only have 1 ground on the 408...
    it has a enable which you have to pull high.. rx, tx, 3.3 and gnd only

I think i found an answer in another thread though the gps vga object in the obex just doenst seem to work quite right out of the box.. I'll try looking over and adapting terry hits and the chucks, posted above... Being new to this stuff is tricky when you are not sure if its a code or a hardware issue etc.·