Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I xmit/rcv serial comms via usb w/ Prop Proto Board USB? — Parallax Forums

Can I xmit/rcv serial comms via usb w/ Prop Proto Board USB?

Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
edited 2008-06-10 15:01 in Propeller 1
Hello all.

I was thinking about getting one of the new Propeller Proto Boards to mess around with, and was wondering if the USB connection can be used for interactive serial comms?

If so, are there any gotchas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-06-09 23:45
    Kevin:

If you just want to communicate with the propeller chip - yes you can. After you load the code using the Prop Tool, use the PST (Propeller Serial Terminal) to communicate.

However, if you want to use some other communications software, you will need to ensure it doesn't raise DTR as this resets the propeller. Otherwise, you will need to place a switch or links on the board to block the DTR signal resetting the propeller.

If you want to use the USB to Serial section (independently of the Prpeller) you will need to build a little interface with RS232. Just be careful not to enable P30 as an output from the Propeller.
    hope this helps smile.gif

I have just looked at the specs. Gee, they only put it on the web over the last few days and yesterday I was told there were 200 in stock - now they are gone. Guess that' great news for Parallax but not for us.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-10 15:01
    One thing I did on my ProtoBoards is add an extra four way 0.1" molex header paralleled with the PropPlug connector with the Reset pin removed. Moving the PropPlug gets round any adverse DTR resetting.