Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Spitting Out Garbage... lots of it. — Parallax Forums

GPS Spitting Out Garbage... lots of it.

SuperCricketSuperCricket Posts: 17
edited 2008-06-12 14:47 in Propeller 1
I was trying to get the Parallax GPS to work. I have the +5v, ground, and SIO pin hooked up to Pin 7 with a 1k OHM resistor. The RAW pin is not connected to anything. The GPS is on a breadboard separate from the Propeller Demo board.

I am running the below demo code, the only code I could find that anyone has written for the Propeller and the GPS. The GPS unit powers up and flashes the red LED sometimes up to a minute or two until it goes solid. The TV display is giving me tons of garbage which changes on each update of the screen.

Firmware: 7.?
Date: 02/04/55
Speed: 1679.3 mph

Next update it will go to 3400 mph date will go to 1980 or something else. It is completely random on each update of the screen. The satellites will jump around from 0-200. Garbage LAT and LONG coordinates too.

Here is the original thread I found:
http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=243895&g=243901#m243901

And the .spin objects are attatched.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-06-09 21:44
    It looks as if the GPS is in RAW mode…Try tying the /RAW line high to see if anything changes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SuperCricketSuperCricket Posts: 17
    edited 2008-06-09 22:53
    I sent the RAW pin high with the Propeller (3.3v) and still got the same results with that guys code. Should I tie off the 5v instead to command high on the GPS? Maybe I just got a bunk unit from the electronics store here.
    edited 2008-06-10 14:45
    You can try tying it (the RAW line) directly to the 5V line…If it still doesn’t work contact us directly to have the unit sent in for testing. Let us know, with nothing connected to the RAW line and the GPS module powered up, what is measured for voltage at the RAW pin?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SuperCricketSuperCricket Posts: 17
    edited 2008-06-12 06:23
    Just an update for those who like to use the search function for stuff in these forums...

The attatched GPS code in my original post is correct and works well. Turns out we had a bad GPS unit from the electronics store here. Replaced it and it got a lock and started updating the values immediately.

Party on.
    edited 2008-06-12 14:47
    The Search Engine is a known issue and a replacement has been implemented at the following link. Take care.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=562370

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support