Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Headphones with no amplifier? — Parallax Forums

Headphones with no amplifier?

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2008-06-06 18:56 in Propeller 1
I had always assumed, that since the Demoboard has a built in amplifier for the headphone jack. that you wouldn't be able to do it without an amp. I have always used a pair of amplified computer speakers with my SpinStudio and instructed my customers to do the same.

On a whim, last night I plugged a set of headphones in, and wow. It just worked. with just 2 resistors, 4 caps and a pair of headphones, stereo sound.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-06-06 18:38
    parts-man73,

The reason for using the amplifier is to provide a more "even" sound strength over a wider range of·frequencies and not stress the I/O pins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-06-06 18:56
    LOL!

I've been using a pair of headphones to test my Spinstudio board all along.. [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Isn't this stuff cool?!! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC
    parts-man73 said...
    I had always assumed, that since the Demoboard has a built in amplifier for the headphone jack. that you wouldn't be able to do it without an amp. I have always used a pair of amplified computer speakers with my SpinStudio and instructed my customers to do the same.

On a whim, last night I plugged a set of headphones in, and wow. It just worked. with just 2 resistors, 4 caps and a pair of headphones, stereo sound.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange