Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting a Bluetooth Wiimote to the Propeller — Parallax Forums

Connecting a Bluetooth Wiimote to the Propeller

Keith DKeith D Posts: 15
edited 2008-06-06 14:13 in Propeller 1
Hi

I have been looking into connecting a Bluetooth Wiimote directly to the propeller for a few weeks now and have not come up with any resolution yet, so I thought I would ask if anyone else knows of or has worked on a Bluetooth module which supports the HID profile and acts as a master device (rather than a slave device!!)?

Most bluetooth modules I have come across only support the serial profile (including the one from A7eng, which stops working as soon as it is connected to a wiimote) which means they won't connect to the HID profile.

The reason I want to connect the wiimote is it's a small (and cheap) remote control, but the only way any one else has managed to connect it to a ucontroller is to 'bounce' the signals through a PC, however, if I have to carry a PC I might as well not bother with the Wiimote!!

I have posted a few queries through companies, but the only way it seems to be achievable is to rewrite the firmware on the bluetooth controllers, but as the software seems to be £4000 and upthis is not something I can afford, and I am supprised a company has not already started marketing these!!

I also looked at adding USB to the propeller, but that does not look very practical!

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get the propeller to talk to a Bluetooth HID device?

Thank you
Keith

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-06 14:08
    Keith D said...
    I also looked at adding USB to the propeller, but that does not look very practical!

BradC has done an excellent job of getting the Propeller working as a USB slave device with nothing more than the addition of a USB socket and three resistors.

For working as a USB Host that's not available ( it may happen one day ) and would require interfacing to a USB Host controller; MAX3421 or similar.
  • Keith DKeith D Posts: 15
    edited 2008-06-06 14:13
    hippy said...
    or working as a USB Host that's not available ( it may happen one day ) and would require interfacing to a USB Host controller; MAX3421 or similar.
    Plus the Bluetooth driver stack would need to be written on the propeller! This would need a lot of work to achieve this with USB!!