Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Sourcing at 30 ma - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Sourcing at 30 ma

2»

Comments

• AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-06-06 16:31
    Paul said...
    .emf is an Enhanced Meta File, a format which scales well inside Word (wmf is the windows version of the format) so we cast images in the format before inserting into a document. Here it is in jpg:

Qhy not SVG ? something designed for vector graphics !?... Ah, ja, M$ software.... lol.gif
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-06-06 16:54
    SVG does not play well with Word, (especially Inkscape's svg files which are obliterated by Word's "intelligence"). The graphs in the Counter doc and the current profile at startup in the datasheet were first done in SVG, but had to be imported in AI, prune the SVG of orphans and hidden children then exported into .emf and even then some lines "disappear" at certain viewing resolutions. IOW it's a big pain dealing with SVG in Word.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-06 17:07
    @ Paul : Many thanks for taking the time to produce the JPEG.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-06-06 17:16
    Actually, word has problem with all graphics... especially with many of them smile.gif. I convert them to eps and then I import them in OpenOffice. Inkscape produces some not so easy to parse files, sadly.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-06 17:54
    Ale said...
    Fred: It will depend on the led. For those 4.2 V leds... no uC at 3.3V will be able without help. If the forward voltage is lower than 2.9 or so and you may lit it with 10 mA you can, if you need more... get a pretty buffer. For 32 that are on all the time... get buffers, for a moving dot you may if you observe the offer vs req of pro and led.

edit: I did not see that there were two pages :-/
    I think I'm almost safe if they match the specs on the ebay ad:

[*]Lens Type: Water clear [*]Wave Length: BLUE 465-475nm·· GREEN 515-525nm · RED 620-625nm [*]Reverse Voltage: 5.0 V [*]DC Forward Voltage: (BLUE & GREEN 3.2V - 3.6V) (RED 1.9V - 2.3V) [*]Luminous Intensity: Typ: 8,000 mcd· [*]DC Forward Current: 20mA [*]Viewing Angle: 20±5degree

I'll probably use 74hc595's serial to parallel to drive them, so I guess if they don't work at 3.3v I can use the 5v bus. The green LEDs that came with the ed kit worked fine, but maybe these guys are difficult. I've never tried blue anything, but I have faith.

What would happen if I used 2 or 3 pins to drive a blue led?
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-06-06 18:51
    Hello,

Yes, as this is offtopic - this time i can't resist to write it:

get rid of this microsof - ahm - wrong of this microSCRAP-software !

I like the way how parallax mixes things for free and to buy. And in my opinion
    using M$-wuurrrghh ! does not fit at all to the corporate identity of parallax Inc.

In my earlier Job i made my documentations with OpenOffice including indexes
    chapterheadlines-formatting, automatic created indexes and pagenumbers while the rest
    of the people made it in word. It worked out well. All the documentations could be opened and looked the same
    (except this dammned 13year old bug of formatting depends on the printer !)
    So the compatibiliy between OpenOffice and word has reached a good level

So PLEASE parallax-team change over to OpenOffice !

lot' of greetings

Stefan
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-11 19:04
    on the rgb leds (at least some like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-5mm-4-PIN-COMMON-CATHODE-RGB-LED-8-000mcd-Resistor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ024QQitemZ370059140346QQtcZphoto )

They work right out the of the box connected right to the prop pins using the 470 ohm resistors that·were in the·package. Interestingly, the red seems the most dim. And surprising because that was supposed to need the least v. Blue is bright and·green brightest. The colors mix best when the led is slammed right against something that diffuses the focus beam -- I used a paper napkin because it was there. If led is offset even as little as two inches the patterns diverge and you end up with three circles of color with minimal overlap. And yeah, I am seeing spots from peering into the led.

Apologies for grabbing the thread, but may as well put everything in·the same place.

·