Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Touchscreen and Propeller? — Parallax Forums

Touchscreen and Propeller?

SuperCricketSuperCricket Posts: 17
edited 2008-06-03 03:55 in Propeller 1
I'm wondering if anyone has got a touchscreen working instead of a regular mouse. I've got a virtual keypad in the vga object and want to use a touchscreen to get the user input. seems like the ones at work are all USB inputs to the computer with software in windows xp for them. not sure if it will interface with the Prop without special drivers. any ideas?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-01 00:26
    You can't really use a USB touchscreen with a Propeller. The existing mouse routines are for PS/2 mice. There have been some people experimenting with USB drivers for the Propeller, but they're large and complex and, so far, not suitable for general use, certainly not by people who have only limited experience in debugging or modifying complex I/O drivers.

You might have an easier time using a USB host like the Vinculum chip that's part of Parallax's USB Memory Stick Datalogger and several versions sold by FTDI as well. This has the capability of talking to USB HID devices like a touchscreen or mouse, but you'll have to do your own programming.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 6/1/2008 12:37:26 AM GMT
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-06-01 05:42
    Hello Supercricket,

welcome to the forum ! On my earlier job it was vice versa. All the touchscreens had a serial RS232-Interface.
    But these monitors were all of a high-professional quality for industrial use (prices of 1200 up to 2000 dollars).

Did you ever made a productsearch on the internet for touchscreens with serial interfaces ?

best regards

Stefan
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2008-06-01 06:58
    Hi SC, are you looking for a complete unit with display/touch sensor/connectors, or rolling your own?

If rolling your own, what size? What kind of budget? I have some Gunze modules which put out RS232 in simple ascii x,y positions. I normally use these with 15" touch glass but believe they would work with other sizes just fine. However you would have to level shift back from the RS232 to suit the prop.
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-06-01 07:45
    See this for an idea of rs232 add-on touch panel costs:
    http://store.earthlcd.com/LCD-Products/Add-On-Touch-Screen-Kits

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-01 11:58
    Look here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=713258

for how I used the 5-wire touchscreens from Digikey with a regular monitor to make a touchscreen that works with the PS/2 port of the proto board...
  • SuperCricketSuperCricket Posts: 17
    edited 2008-06-02 02:55
    Hey Rayman seriously thanks for the help with that. I'll pick up the right sized touch screen and the controller board and post my results back in here. I'll hit you up if I come across any snags. Glad these message boards are here for all the Propellerheads. hop.gif
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-06-02 03:00
    Far out, Rayman!. I can think of uses for this technique, and the cost is quite reasonable.
    Thanks for the tip...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-06-02 13:17
    I wrote a touch screen controller for the Prop that drives a 4-wire touch screen directly (no serial or USB controller). I didn't post it on the OBEX because I haven't had the time to polish it up nice. If you are interested, send me a private message and I can get you a copy of what I have to get you started.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-06-02 15:12
    Ken do you have an idea of what the schematic and components would be on the inputs? I've considered doing a driver like this myself, but haven't had much time. Can you PM me your details? TIA

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Agent420Agent420 Posts: 439
    edited 2008-06-02 15:25
    I haven't done a touchscreen project yet, but it's my understanding that most of these use resistive layers that you simply measure with an adc of some type.· It's more programming logic (like dealing with a joystick) than hardware.

But take a peek at either MikroElectronica (or their US retailer Circuit Ed)... they have inexpensive·touch screen material, interface boards and complete assemblies.

http://www.mikroe.com/pdf/touch_screen_specification.pdf

http://www.circuit-ed.com/LCD-and-Adapters-C8.aspx

edit -

Guess you're looking for something larger, but I still think that most of these are going to be 4 wire resistive, in which case you can probably tear it open and go right to the touch material with an adc·if need be.· Just think of the plastic layers as two potentiometers...

Post Edited (Agent420) : 6/2/2008 3:46:09 PM GMT
    edited 2008-06-02 16:19
    SuperCricket said...
    ...·I'll pick up the right sized touch screen and the controller board and post my results back in here. I'll hit you up if I come across any snags. ...
    The most difficult part is getting the touchscreen installed inside the monitor.· The main difficulty is keeping the bezel from pushing onto the sensitive part of the screen.·· We wound up gluing plastic spacers around the edge of the touchscreen to keep a gap there...· Also took cutters to the bezel to remove the inner edge that wants to push down on the screen...
    edited 2008-06-02 16:31
    @jazzed:

Here's·the latest version of my driver.· Should be pretty straight-forward to use.· Let me know if you have any questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-02 17:11
    Just FYI: The 4-wire and 5-wire screens are very different... Something like Ken's object would work for a 5-wire screen, but only one ADC is needed (on one wire). And, you need to tri-state output the right voltages on the other 4 wires...
    edited 2008-06-02 17:15
    Also, you can reduce the number of Prop pins needed if you use external complimentary MOS drivers. Theoretically, for a 5-wire panel: 2 pins for ADC and one to switch between driving X and Y.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-06-02 20:40
    Your work looks good Ken. Thanks for sharing. Considering the number of pins required and the tiny number I have left, using an RS232 interface would likely be best for my application (dang it). ... unless I bite the bullet and use Prop as my multi-i/o peripheral device.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-06-03 00:39
    4D Systems http://www.4dsystems.com.au/products.php
    has a serial touch screen on the way ... http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=23
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2008-06-03 03:17
    rjo_ 4D have actually released the Active OLED touch equivalent in 2.4" and 2.83". Gorgeous displays if the size and budget allow.

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-06-03 03:55
    OOPS...