Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropTool on Asus EEE — Parallax Forums

PropTool on Asus EEE

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,355
edited 2008-05-28 18:15 in Propeller 1
Just got my EEE loaded up with XP SP3 (with IE7) and Office 2003 SP3 (it takes a lot of work to squeeze these down to 1.5 GB).

Installed the PropTool to thumbdrive and it runs fine.

So, if you're looking for a cheap, portable platform, the EEE may be for you!· The 2G model is only $299.· Mine is a 4G with RAM upgrade...

The PropTool doesn't really work so well in 800x480 mode, so I'm in virtual 800x600 mode...
1920 x 1080 - 815K
eee.jpg 814.9K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-05-26 20:30
    That thing is just so dang cute! What's it like to type on, though?

-Phil
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2008-05-27 02:03
    Office 2003!? Even though I have copies of Office 2003/2007 I prefer OpenOffice and 2.4 only takes 339M on XP. I grabbed a EEEPC when they first came out but I haven't done much with it. Because the prop tool doesn't like running under linux I am reluctantly inclined to install XP on it just to run the prop tool, but of course I would continue to use OpenOffice. Also TeraTerm is my prefered terminal and that doesn't run under Linux unfortunately. Same goes for Protel.

BTW, the keyboard is a little cramped for my fingers but it's ok. Any drawbacks are blown away by the small footprint and convenience. There are some places that I couldn't take my 17" laptop but the little EEEPC sneaks into those awkward work environments and doesn't mind a few bumps either.

*Peter*
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-05-27 19:58
    Peter,

I had an opportunity to play with a friends EEEPc. I found the keyboard size to be just a little too small for my hands for any serious typing/email/work. I think it would make a perfect child's laptop for that same reason though!

Next iteration (should it be a tad larger) would be perfect as a couch laptop for myself and my better half.

BTW- the lack of (seemless) Prop on Linux has really frustrated me lately, and one of the only reasons I haven't made the complete jump from Winblows...

-Parsko
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,355
    edited 2008-05-28 14:10
    I just took it on an airplane ride and it was great! Plenty of room left over on my tray.

Watched a whole movie (stored on a 16 GB USB flash drive) with it and still had 20% battery left. Played the movie flawlessly.

It does take some practice to learn to type fast on it (and to unlearn when going back to a regular PC). But, once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad...

It would be great for kids. Actually, I think that was the main target for this thing, the OLPC killer...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2008-05-28 18:15
    I have a 4 month old Asus eeePC 4G, but without the WindowsXP - Xandros Linux. I love it, but I cannot use the PropTool with a serial interface due to Linux. It is loaded in WINE and will allow you to review and edit programs in that context.

I strongly prefer the 4Gbytes and think that 2Gbytes really doesn't leave the user much room for personal projects. Also, the 4Gbyte microprocessor is better and clocks faster.

I love the fact that all storage is solidstate. Typing can be a bit cramped. You can get the Asus 900PC for a bit more money that has a wider keyboard and larger screen. But I just love the ability to cram it into a small bag and that it weighs less than 1 kilo. It goes everywhere with me and I use the Wifi daily.

I think that Black is the best color for wear.· White will grunge out in a short time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PLEASE CONSIDER the following:

Do you want a quickly operational black box solution or the knowledge included therein?······
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan