Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Issue with proptool locating files — Parallax Forums

Issue with proptool locating files

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-05-28 03:30 in Propeller 1
Can someone explain this error to me in small words please?

I create a new directory and save my top-level object to it. I have the only other referenced object already open in the proptool, it's there in the list of tabs at the top, and yet the tool claims it can't find it.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-05-23 16:37
    I agree. Why does it say it can't find it in the tabs when you have it open in a tab??

I think it would be nice if the Tool could be configured with Project files that define the environment, library locations and source file locations for a given project. I have several projects in the works and each one uses a slightly different version of a library. I would like to be able to open a "project" and have it open all of the relevant code and set the top object so all you have to do is it Ctrl+F11 to update the hardware. Most other IDE's work in this way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-05-23 19:09
    I've been able to duplicate this by opening a .spin file from a temporary folder or compressed folder that
    was closed after the file was opened. It seems as if the file needs to be saved to an expected location
    when it is open on the tabs.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-05-23 20:03
    Perhaps an API call used by the Tool isn't supported by Samba. Have you done Prop development on your samba nas before? Is it set up to require UNC? (if so that might be your problem)

Also hover your mouse over each tab, are the paths the same?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/23/2008 8:19:22 PM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-05-23 20:21
    We have been using networked storage, but it's mounted as a drive letter. One problem I get is that it won't find a file in the library folder until I make a copy in the working folder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2008-05-23 22:57
    Ken Peterson said...
    I agree. Why does it say it can't find it in the tabs when you have it open in a tab??

I was caught by this as well. Seems that this only works for not yet saved files (i.e. Untitled#). As soon as it has a location assigned on disc it stops working.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-05-24 04:52
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Perhaps an API call used by the Tool isn't supported by Samba. Have you done Prop development on your samba nas before? Is it set up to require UNC? (if so that might be your problem)
    Also hover your mouse over each tab, are the paths the same?

Ok, let's take Samba out of the equation.
    3 Screenshots.

1. Demonstrate bug again with all objects stored locally
    2. Mouseover tab for lowlevel
    3. Mouseover tab for top object
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-05-27 17:24
    I see the two files residing in two places, one in Test_001 and the other in Test_002, the file must either be in the same directory or in the main library directory. This is the reason it won't compile. The bit where it talks about editor tabs only applies to files which have not been saved. Does this clear up your mystery?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2008-05-28 01:36
    The bit where it talks about editor tabs only applies to files which have not been saved. Does this clear up your mystery?

I think the issue here is that from the error message alone it isn't clear at all that it only applies to unsaved files. Personally I think that behaviour is needlessly restrictive (see also folder suggestions in http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=726388).
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-05-28 03:30
    I see the two files residing in two places, one in Test_001 and the other in Test_002, the file must either be in the same directory or in the main library directory. This is the reason it won't compile. The bit where it talks about editor tabs only applies to files which have not been saved. Does this clear up your mystery?

Yes that clears it up nicely..
    Somewhat an unfortunate limitation of the tool..

<snipped>

Post Edited (BradC) : 5/28/2008 3:38:37 AM GMT