Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Starting with the Propeller -- Is there a "line continuation" character? — Parallax Forums

Starting with the Propeller -- Is there a "line continuation" character?

allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
edited 2008-05-23 02:08 in Propeller 1
Hello!

Well, I've launched into a new adventure with Parallax -- using the Propeller chip.· Frankly, the name was rather off-putting, but we've had that discussion already elsewhere.

One suggestion -- the Spin code IDE just cries out for a "line continuation character".· I think VB uses an "&" or a "_" at the end of a line, to indicate that the line doesn't logically end there, but the next physical line should be appended to it.

Places I've felt this would be useful are in "IF" statements, where ALL the 'clauses' MUST be on the same line.· I've also had a problem with Parameter Lists (not my own, but other people's) of 6 or more "Local" variables, where the line gets really long.

I hope this is a possibility in the next release of the IDE.

Meanwhile, I've implemented a "ConTEXT" syntax highlight file, if people want to try another editor.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 5/22/2008 3:28:01 PM GMT

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-05-22 15:31
    There's no continuation character but curly brackets can be used ...

waitpne(    {
    }         0,  {
    }         1,  {
    }         1   {
    }        )

Not perfect but can get one out of otherwise aesthetically nasty situations.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-05-22 18:02
    Curly brackets are the multi-line comment character. And they work that way? Thanks!

<Edit> Just tried it -- that's absolutely brilliant, and completely fixes the problem.· Thanks again.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 5/22/2008 6:09:54 PM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-05-22 20:13
    That is an interesting trick. I don't think I knew about that...
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-05-23 02:08
    Not sure who gets credit for it, but it wasn't my discovery.